Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

22.06.2010 20:34:21
Apple Remote + IR Dongle + Remote Buddy = control A/V Receiver via IR?
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I have my Mac Mini hooked up to my TV via digital audio. This means no volume adjustment on the mini. I can change the volume of my receiver but that means a big clunky remote just to change volume (and sometimes change the input source).

What I want to do is use my Apple Remote to tell Remote Buddy to send a signal to an IR dongle that will adjust the volume of my A/V receiver. Is this possible? If so, which IR dongle is recommended? Most of the IR devices listed seem to be oriented around receiving a signal and not sending one.

Being able to essentially turn Remote Buddy into a universal remote would be HUGE! 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

23.06.2010 10:42:46
Re: Apple Remote + IR Dongle + Remote Buddy = control A/V Receiver via IR?
View

Thanks for asking.

Remote Buddy is not capable of sending IR commands at this point.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

27.06.2010 19:23:39
View

I would also be VERY interested in this functionality, though the hardware out there for transmitting seems a bit scarce for macs.

The software is great though! It has eliminated all but two remotes, my aluminum apple remote and the remote for my receiver (only used for volume). I have it set up with EyeTV and Plex behaviours... very simple and clean. Kudos!

Last edited: 27.06.2010 19:31:31 

User

25.08.2010 04:40:13
View

you guys might be interested in the following:

http://www.filewell.com/iRed/details.html?irtrans-details.html

This is just one of a many iRBlasters available for the mac.

I have been very interested in getting this functionality (control receiver with apple remote) for many years now, but because of the cost, I have never actually gone ahead with it, but, it can be done. 

User

18.10.2010 17:16:47
View

I have MacMini with the ZephIR (IR Blaster) and Remote Buddy and everything works awesome. I also bought a USB 2.0 Cat 5 extender from monoprice.com (which is the only place to buy av cables and stuff) and ran a network cable from my mac mini to the other side of the room so that my ZephIR could hit every device in the room (about 30 ft) and it works good. Takes a little AppleScripting and custom mapping in remote buddy but I can control all aspects of my Receiver, TV, DVD Player, etc.. with my Wii Remote or Iphone, or Ipod Touch, or any web enabled device. Certainly worth the $60 bucks.

ALso got a 4x2 HDMI Splitter (which is controlled by RB + IR) with a 75' HDMI cable running to TV downstairs and now I can use any source from my main Home Theatre to the TV downstairs. ANd the kids can play XBOX 360 downstairs and I can watch a movie on MacMini with both devices sitting next to each other upstairs.

Let me know if you want more information.