Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

15.07.2010 05:18:09
Remote buddy issue with Hulu Desktop--Advice?
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I'm using Hulu Desktop on my new Mac Mini. I love using the Apple Remote via "Remote Buddy" to control Hulu Desktop. 
However, it seems that when Hulu Desktop opens, I can't initially get started with the remote. It opens to a window that shows Hulu Desktop Beta with the video inside of a centralized box. Below the box is the options "Watch Now", "Menu" and "Change Profile". It won't allow any remote presses or keyboard shortcuts/presses to invoke the "Watch Now" to close the intro window and begin viewing it whole screen. It absolutely requires a mouse press. 
If I change the preferences start options to "Menu: Queue" instead of "Resume last video", then the remote won't do anything until I use the mouse to begin moving through menus. Then the remote will work.

Is this a bug in the Hulu Desktop Beta or is there something I'm missing somewhere in the settings/preferences. 
Everything else seems to work perfectly fine with the remote--with the exception of the initial startup of the program.

Any advice? I also posted this in the Hulu forums, but I've had no replies. 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - Wii™ Remote
User

16.07.2010 10:38:11
Re: Remote buddy issue with Hulu Desktop--Advice?
View

No changes have been made to Remote Buddy's Hulu Desktop support. It uses keystrokes to control Hulu Desktop.

This appears to clearly be a bug in Hulu Desktop. Please contact Hulu and file a bugreport with them to alert them of the issue.

As a temporary workaround until Hulu fixes their bug, you may want to try using the actions from the Virtual Remote at Prefs > Mapping > Hulu Desktop to emulate an Apple Remote when Hulu Desktop is active. Depending on what OS release you're running, this may or may not be a solution: Hulu Desktop uses completely outdated, driver internal/OS release dependent code for their Apple Remote support. In consequence, Hulu Desktop's Apple Remote support will simply not work on many systems.

I've already contacted Hulu about their Apple Remote issue in the past and pointed them to an easy, quick and free (!) solution. I've not gotten any response, yet.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

16.07.2010 14:53:32
View

Thanks. That helped. I had already added in some of the Virtual Mouse settings, but not the Virtual Remote (since that's what I thought that Remote Buddy was anyway). It's definitely doable now.

Thanks for the help.

No changes have been made to Remote Buddy's Hulu Desktop support. It uses keystrokes to control Hulu Desktop.

This appears to clearly be a bug in Hulu Desktop. Please contact Hulu and file a bugreport with them to alert them of the issue.

As a temporary workaround until Hulu fixes their bug, you may want to try using the actions from the Virtual Remote at Prefs > Mapping > Hulu Desktop to emulate an Apple Remote when Hulu Desktop is active. Depending on what OS release you're running, this may or may not be a solution: Hulu Desktop uses completely outdated, driver internal/OS release dependent code for their Apple Remote support. In consequence, Hulu Desktop's Apple Remote support will simply not work on many systems.

I've already contacted Hulu about their Apple Remote issue in the past and pointed them to an easy, quick and free (!) solution. I've not gotten any response, yet.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

29.07.2010 22:29:21
View

Hey I think what you need to do its make it remember your log in because mine always opens up to the main program and only see the screen you were talking about when I log out.

So click on your user name-> preferences-> remember password and login-> check yes.

hopefully that works for you 

User

15.09.2010 03:25:16
View

I too had the problem of not being able to control Hulu Desktop when Remote Buddy was active. I had to remap all of the Hulu Desktop actions to use the Virtual Remote instead of the Apple Remote, which is what I use to control my Mac mini.