Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

24.07.2010 14:29:36
Java CPU usage
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I thought that there was something wrong with my battery, as I was getting only 2/3 the life that I normally got. But then I noticed that my MacBook Pro was running really hot, but I wasn't doing anything. So I ran "top" and noticed that Java was hovering between 80-100% CPU. I then ran through the processes that got started upon login.

I exited Remote Buddy, and Java CPU usage dropped to 0%, my machine cooled down, and battery estimate went way up.

I have version 1.16.3.

Any reports of issues? 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

25.07.2010 10:17:11
Re: Java CPU usage
View

Thanks for asking.

Remote Buddy doesn't contain, install, run or use any Java code. It's purely clean Objective-C code.

I think it is therefore safe to say that Remote Buddy is not responsible for the CPU usage of Java on your system. There also haven't been any reports.

Tip: Enter 
sudo lsof >~/Desktop/OpenFDs.txt 
into the Terminal next time you encounter this problem to get a list of all files opened by all applications saved into OpenFDs.txt on your Desktop. Searching for Java in that file should provide you with the information of what Java application you have started that is consuming your CPU time.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

26.07.2010 17:25:06
Re: Java CPU usage
View

Thanks, I should have thought of that.

The culprit was a process monitoring Dashboard applet. RemoteBuddy just happened to trigger a bug in that program.