Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

01.08.2010 22:53:44
Front Row skipping 2 lines at a time with up/down
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Howdy all. I've been using Remote Buddy for some time now in conjunction with a Harmony Remote. I normally use Plex, and have had that working great for some time now. I just decided to look back at using Front Row, and the most immediate issue I'm running into is that, when using the up/down buttons, the menu jumps 2 rows at a time, making it impossible to make some selections. I'm at a complete loss on what to do to fix this. Any thoughts?

EDIT: Nevermind… I sorted it out. I made a custom key mapping and adjusted it to activate on a single key press. Works like a charm!

Last edited: 02.08.2010 02:51:27 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Configuration
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - Harmony® Smart Control
User

03.08.2010 11:32:11
Re: Front Row skipping 2 lines at a time with up/down
View

This is a known problem of the Harmony Remote.

The problem, in a nutshell: 
The Harmony Remote doesn't always correctly detect Apple Remote presses when programmed. If that happens, it'll just play back the received, raw IR codes multiple times instead of sending a single, correct Apple Remote code (like a real Apple Remote would do). This results in the Apple IR Receiver receiving the signals of multiple, quick Apple Remote button presses for what is actually a single press of a button on your Harmony Remote. And for the signals of multiple button presses, you get the response for multiple button presses.

Solution: 
Use the Apple Remote profile as supplied by Logitech. It's been correctly programmed and will send only a single, correct Apple Remote code per button press.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

03.08.2010 15:11:54
View

Thanks for the reply, Felix. Is there any particular reason I would reconfigure my Harmony (which is set up for the Plex remote profile) over the solution I came up with? 
User

03.08.2010 15:48:11
Re: Re: Front Row skipping 2 lines at a time with up/down
View

The Plex Remote profile suffers the problem I described: some of its buttons were not programmed correctly. For these, multiple button presses will be sent by the Harmony when in fact you only pressed the button once.

In contrast, the Apple Remote profile supplied by Logitech doesn't suffer from this problem.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

03.08.2010 17:48:01
View

The Plex Remote profile suffers the problem I described: some of its buttons were not programmed correctly. For these, multiple button presses will be sent by the Harmony when in fact you only pressed the button once.

In contrast, the Apple Remote profile supplied by Logitech doesn't suffer from this problem.

Thanks, but I'm not sure you are understanding my question. Before you replied, I had come up with a solution that involved custom mapping the up/down key commands inside Remote Buddy. I had edited my original post the other day indicating what I did, when I did come up with that solution. It works perfectly, so far as I can tell. It's certainly not skipping 2 lines at a time anymore. Is there any downside to doing it the way I did it? I've only recently started experimenting with Front Row again and while all seems well now, I could be overlooking a downside of some sort. 
User

03.08.2010 18:39:11
Re: Re: Front Row skipping 2 lines at a time with up/down
View

Thanks for your follow up.

I'm getting all forum posts by email, but I don't get any edits - so I missed yours, too.

As far as downsides are concerned: you may be able to work around the flaw in the Harmony profile in this case, but please keep in mind you're still likely to experience unwanted effects when using this Harmony profile with other Behaviours.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

03.08.2010 19:46:31
View

Thanks for your follow up.

I'm getting all forum posts by email, but I don't get any edits - so I missed yours, too.

As far as downsides are concerned: you may be able to work around the flaw in the Harmony profile in this case, but please keep in mind you're still likely to experience unwanted effects when using this Harmony profile with other Behaviours.

Aha! Sorry about that. Alrighty, well I'll certainly keep that in mind. I don't want to mess with the Harmony's settings unless I can avoid it since I have this working so well with Plex. Unfortunately, I've become increasingly disenchanted with Plex due to constant various bugs and other issues, so I'm looking back at Front Row and some plug-ins like Sapphire. Thankfully Remote Buddy is so darned flexible I'm able to work around things like what I was experiencing. Appreciate the info.