Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

22.08.2010 13:04:49
Remote Buddy & VLC issue
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hello,

I've recently received updates for both remote buddy and vlc, and after these updates it seems whenever I try to quit vlc from remote buddy (using the onscreen menue) it takes a while before vlc quits if it quits at all. Not sure if this problem is from remote buddy or vlc itself (quitting vlc manually doesn't have any similar delays).

Has anyone encountered this before, or knows a fix to this issue?

Thanks, 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

23.08.2010 09:40:46
Re: Remote Buddy & VLC issue
View

Thanks for asking.

When you select "Quit" from the Remote Buddy menu, it sends a standard quit AppleEvent - just like f.ex. the OS X Dock or Activity Monitor do, too. Remote Buddy has done this since it supported this function and no changes have been made here ever since. I also wouldn't know of any other way to tell an application to quit.

Since of the involved code, the only code that changed is in VLC and Remote Buddy really has no influence on how long it takes other applications to react to a standard OS X quit AppleEvent, I can't see any indication that this is a problem of or with Remote Buddy.

Please note that applications can handle Apple Events and pull down menu item selections differently. I remember a Plex release that would quit fine when you selected "Quit" from the pull down menu, but that would just hang forever, if you tried to quit it via the Dock, Activity Monitor, AppleScript or Remote Buddy. The bug was eventually fixed by the Plex team in a subsequent release.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

23.08.2010 21:03:28
View

Thanks for your clarification,

Just like you explained the quit from the dock is different to the quit from the pull down menu, and the bug is indeed with VLC as it takes a while to quit when using the dock option. 

User

24.08.2010 09:41:02
View

Yeah, VLC is that buggy. And has been for ages. The VLC Mac team (or what's left of it) has actually stated that they are not going to do any further developments on VLC (except some obvious bug fixes), but are working on a new project from scratch instead (called Lunettes). Would be awesome, if IOSPIRIT would look into that project (and prepared the behaviors beforehand) before it's released to public; which still could be ages, for all I know.