Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

31.10.2010 22:17:19
default Plex Behavior Actions
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi, 
According to the February 2009 Blog post (repeated at bottom) the default Plex Behavior is not built on keystrokes. Is this still true? While this appears to be a good thing I'm having difficulty correlating actions in the Plex default Behavior to Plex functionality. Since I'm using a HarmonyOne with multiple IDs I don't have a default mapping to my remote and must define each button myself. Is there an easy way to get more definition on each of the bundled actions? Specific questions include:

1) What is the difference between seemingly similar items such as 'Navigation: Select' and 'select'? Same question for 'Up', 'Down', 'Right', 'Left'.

2) Is there a different functionality between 'Navigation: Select' and 'Navigation: Select (hold)'? What precisely is different about these two? Same question for 'Up', 'Down', 'Right', 'Left'.

3) On their Plex website there is a key for "Toggle the rewind speed between normal play, 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, and 32x" How can I know which option that is amongst the default Plex Behavior actions?

4) on their Plex website there is a key for "Go up a folder to the parent folder" How can I know which option that is amongst the default Plex Behavior actions? What about "Go back to the previous menu screen"?

5) What precisely is the difference between 'Fast Forward', 'skip forward', and 'step forward'? Which default Plex actions moves to the next chapter while playing a DVD (i.e. "Skip to the next item in a playlist").

Earl

A new generation of Behaviours for Boxee, Plex and XBMC 
In the past, the Behaviours used keystrokes to control the three media center applications. While usually this is a robust way to control this type of application, it turned out to not be suitable here for a number of reasons...

To avoid all of these problems, the new Behaviours no longer use keystrokes to control Boxee, Plex and XBMC. Instead, the new Behaviours formulate and send button and action events directly to the media centers' built-in UDP event server. Essentially this means that media center actions can now be triggered directly by Remote Buddy. And the new Behaviours make plenty of use of these new possibilities. They all ship with a big set of actions ... 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Behaviours
General
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - Harmony® Smart Control
User

01.11.2010 02:26:11
Re: default Plex Behavior Actions
View

Well after some experimentation I'm finding the default Plex behavior 'Home' is not acting as expected. Certainly not like the backspace key. If this key gets pressed during a movie it brings up the home selection menus with the movie playing in the background! Once this happens the only way I've found to get out is to stop/exit the movie and then restart from the beginning. I couldn't find any way to continue the movie but get rid of the surrounding menu.

Earl 

User

08.11.2010 11:20:26
Re: default Plex Behavior Actions
View

Thanks for asking.

1) What is the difference between seemingly similar items such as 'Navigation: Select' and 'select'? Same question for 'Up', 'Down', 'Right', 'Left'. 
2) Is there a different functionality between 'Navigation: Select' and 'Navigation: Select (hold)'? What precisely is different about these two? Same question for 'Up', 'Down', 'Right', 'Left'.

The "Navigation"-prefixed actions are identical to what the PlexHelper sends to Plex for the Apple Remote for the respective buttons.

The unprefixed Up/Down/.. actions are the respective XBMC-actions of the same name.

3) On their Plex website there is a key for "Toggle the rewind speed between normal play, 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, and 32x" How can I know which option that is amongst the default Plex Behavior actions? 
4) on their Plex website there is a key for "Go up a folder to the parent folder" How can I know which option that is amongst the default Plex Behavior actions? What about "Go back to the previous menu screen"? 
5) What precisely is the difference between 'Fast Forward', 'skip forward', and 'step forward'? Which default Plex actions moves to the next chapter while playing a DVD (i.e. "Skip to the next item in a playlist").

The actions of the Plex Behaviour are all named by the XBMC actions that are sent via UDP to Plex when you trigger them.

The Plex Behaviour's purpose is solely to make these actions available. The interpretation - and whether the interpretation is contextually different - is entirely up to Plex.

No keystrokes are sent at all by the Plex Behaviour.

If you want to send particular keystrokes, I recommend to create and use a custom action for these.

It's my understanding that Plex uses some sort of XML configuration file to turn keystrokes into XBMC actions and then interprets them - possibly even different depending on context. I'm not that familiar with Plex internals, though. If using a custom action is not an option for you and you need to know what XBMC UDP action a particular keystroke is mapped to, please consult the Plex config files / source code / forums.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz