Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

20.11.2010 20:30:16
System volume in smaller steps/increments?
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I'm looking for a way to adjust the system volume in smaller steps/increments? This is possible on my system's apple keyboard using SHIFT + OPTION + VOLUME UP/DOWN. I've tried building a custom action, but pressing VOLUME UP/DOWN on the Apple keyboard doesn't do anything when building the keystroke combination.

I'm using OS X 10.6.5 with Remote Buddy 1.16.6 and a Logitech Harmony 300. Audio output is through the headphone jack on my Mini to self-amplified Bose speakers. Adjusting the system volume with the Harmony 300 remote works fine, but the volume steps/increments are the fairly large default steps/increments. 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Configuration
Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

21.01.2011 14:42:39
Re: System volume in smaller steps/increments?
View

+1 
I'm also want that feature, as I use my Mac to directly send audio to a power amplifier (and thus manage volume at a system level), I need fine grained volume management, otherwise the volume is often too loud or too soft.

But I found a workaround, I didn't have the time to really test though : 
Create a custom action, with an applescript function: (this one increases by step of 1 

set current_volume to output volume of (get volume settings)

if current_volume is less than 100 then 
set current_volume to current_volume + 1 
end if

set volume output volume current_volume 

(do not copy the double quotes, only what's inside) 
You can decrease volume by 1 using : 
" set current_volume to output volume of (get volume settings)

if current_volume is more of 0 then 
set current_volume to current_volume - 1 
end if

set volume output volume current_volume 
"

As I said earlier, I haven't tested it yet (not at home currently), but it might work. But having the possibility to repeat the SHIFT+OPTION+Volume up/down would be easier (and also would bring the possibility to display the volume OSD.

I really hope the RB developpers implement it soon!

User

22.01.2011 02:48:49
Re: System volume in smaller steps/increments?
View

Arnaud, in general your suggestion is a good one, I tried it a while back. I'd recommend people give it a try to see if it works for them.

I quit using the script solution and have returned to using the default RB system volume. I was not completely happy with the way the script solution worked (no onscreen display and had some unexpected behaviour when certain programs were active - can't remember which).