Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

22.11.2010 15:25:52
Apple remote & RemoteBuddy not working
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
A complete newbie question, but after paying for the RemoteBuddy license, my AppleRemote no longer works on any application. I have tried restarting the whole machine, and restarted RB many times. Is there an obvious checkbox to force a connection? Before RB the Apple remote would work with FrontRow and iTunes, etc. The trial RB worked great on all apps, but nothing seems to go now. Anyway to force RB to reconnect to devices?

My Apple remote is only a few months old (and unused until I got RB) so I doubt it is the battery. All settings look okay (Built-in IR receives set to 'green'). Maybe a setting on my Mac has gone wrong so the remote doesn't connect to the Mac itself?

I realize Apple's are not the best at connecting to devices and Apple try to block 3rd party software, but I assume this should be okay?

Like I said, probably a simple setting somewhere.

Thanks in advance. 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware
Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

22.11.2010 19:28:46
Re: Apple remote & RemoteBuddy not working
View

Thanks for asking.

There is no difference between the trial version or the full version (except for the demo timeout). Both are completely identical - byte for byte. So, this certainly isn't it.

Chances are you have disabled your Apple Remote / IR Receiver at System Preferences > Security - which will disable the Apple Remote not just for OS X but also for Remote Buddy. But there are more possible error sources that aren't as easy to check - some of them very complex.

The fastest route to finding and solving all of these issues is to use our free tool "Remote Control Diagnostics" (or short: RCD). It's a free download.

Please: 
1) download RCD from http://www.iospirit.com/labs/remotecontroldiagnostics/ 
2) run the application and click on "Start Diagnostics" 
3) copy and paste the output in the reply.

Please also provide the following information: 
1) Which version of Remote Buddy you're using (you can find the version number in the About dialog). 
2) Which Mac model you're using.

My Apple remote is only a few months old (and unused until I got RB) so I doubt it is the battery.

It's rare, but some Apple Remotes arrive with empty or almost empty batteries or turn faulty after initially working great (one of the two aluminum Apple Remotes I own, did). I consider this really rare, but it happens.

For a basic check, you can also use RCD to check whether your remote is still sending *anything*. You'll need an iSight or webcam equipped Mac for this, though. To perform that check, select "Battery check" in RCD.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

24.11.2010 13:40:46
Re: Apple remote & RemoteBuddy not working
View

Thanks Felix.

I have a very busy week at work so I will have to wait until weekend before I can download RCD diagnostic tests.

For the record, the Apple Remote / IR Receiver at System Preferences are enabled (and green in RB status).

On reboot, RB says it is active (but of course the remote does nothing).

I have a second Apple remote (unopened) but no reaction from that either.

I'll post RCD results as soon as they are complete.

Versions 
-------- 
RB version 1.16.6 
17" MacBook Pro OS X version 10.6.5

Thanks again for your quick response.