Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

13.12.2010 21:27:58
Hulu Desktop on 10.6.5
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I know that Since 10.6.3 iospirit driver with Remote Buddy doesn't support Hulu. But with RBuddy turned off and canderAIR on it works fine. Sofa Controll (with poor control quality) is able to utilize Hulu without problems. Since Hulu Team has no interest in supporting HID driver in their App, what is the way of Controlling Hulu from Remote Buddy? Support Agent told me to turn on Legacy mode in CanderAIR but that didn't help.

Seriously?

I bought Remote Buddy for Controlling Hulu and now I can't do that? Is there a workaround here?

Please answer,

Adam 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Driver
Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

17.12.2010 05:52:19
Re: Hulu Desktop on 10.6.5
View

I know that Since 10.6.3 iospirit driver with Remote Buddy doesn't support Hulu. But with RBuddy turned off and canderAIR on it works fine. Sofa Controll (with poor control quality) is able to utilize Hulu without problems. Since Hulu Team has no interest in supporting HID driver in their App, what is the way of Controlling Hulu from Remote Buddy? Support Agent told me to turn on Legacy mode in CanderAIR but that didn't help.

Seriously?

I bought Remote Buddy for Controlling Hulu and now I can't do that? Is there a workaround here?

Please answer,

Adam

It works on mine on 10.6.5 without candelair... 

User

21.12.2010 13:53:01
Re: Hulu Desktop on 10.6.5
View

Thanks for your feedback. A few points from my side:

1) Candelair should not to be blamed for Hulu Desktop's forward and backward incompatible use of the Apple Remote HID device under OS X. It heavily depends on internals of Apple's driver implementation (which Candelair also mimics for maximum compatibility). I've written a Hulu executive an email quite some time ago explaining why this is an issue that'll bite both them and their users - as well as provide them with all information needed so they can address this - for free. No reaction to date.

2) Turning on Backward Compatibility Mode in Candelair will make it mimic the internals of the OS X 10.4.8/10.5 driver. Since Hulu Desktop depends on 10.6 driver internals on 10.6, this will in fact make Hulu Desktop not work.

3) Remote Buddy sends cursor keystrokes to control Hulu Desktop.

4) Hulu Desktop bases on Flash - and recently started to only react to key presses after there was a mouse movement. This bug, too, has been reported to Hulu by me. Again, no response, no reaction. User feedback, however, suggests that the problem goes away when you manually install the latest version of Flash on your Mac.

5) If you'd like to forward Apple Remote button presses to Hulu Desktop, you can do so by selecting the respective [Virtual Remote] actions at Prefs > Mapping > Hulu Desktop for the respective buttons. Please make sure you've turned off the Backward Compatibility Mode in Candelair when you do this, as otherwise Hulu Desktop can't understand what it receives due to its dependency on driver internals.

6) I can understand your frustration about Hulu Desktop, but I can't fix the bugs in their software. If you're frustrated with the quality of Hulu's Desktop client, please let them know. Maybe, if enough people let them know, they'll take the few minutes time it'd take them to finally fix the most serious bugs in their software.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz