Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

27.12.2010 20:40:17
Adding scripts or actions to Main Menu items
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hello,

I'm not able to find anything already posted on this. I'm looking for the ability to add some custom actions to the selections in the Main Menu. For example, The open application is PLEX. When I hit the EYE TV selection in the RB main menu, I'd like Plex to QUIT and EYETV to open. Without this ability, PLEX fullscreen won't relinquish the foreground and EYETV uselessly opens in the background. As a workaround, I have to toggle from fullscreen on PLEX, then launch EYE TV. This kind of procedure is a little too "heady" for the rest of the family.

Thanks for your input.

Brad 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Configuration
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - EyeTV Receiver
User

30.12.2010 19:25:01
Re: Adding scripts or actions to Main Menu items
View

Thanks for asking.

You could create a custom action containing AppleScript to quit Plex and launch EyeTV:

tell application "EyeTV" to activate 
tell application "Plex" to quit

Be sure to check the "globally available" checkbox for the action and you can also add it as a menu entry.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

05.01.2011 12:24:52
Re: Adding scripts or actions to Main Menu items
View

I had the same issue and I managed to define an action using Applescript similar to above and assign it to one of my remote buttons, but I don't understand yet how to include it in the top menu. Could you give us some advice please Felix?

Kind regards, 
Jurgen 

User

18.01.2011 13:02:02
Re: Re: Adding scripts or actions to Main Menu items
View

Thanks for asking.

To include an action in the menu, ensure it's "Globally available" checkbox is ticked. You can then just add it to the menu at Prefs > Menu by dragging it from the Item Library on the left.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz