Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

18.01.2011 09:52:09
Ajax remote crashes iphone 4.2
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
The ajax remote app just crashed my iphone. The iphone has not been able to restart yet.

first Ajax remote becomes unresponsive to touch 
then a message is displayed saying that the wifi connection was dropped. You can not click this message away since the phone is unresponsive 
The home button is also unresponsive, you cannot quit the app. 
hard reset is required (home button + top button) Phone goes black and can not be restarted 
iPhone does not respond to itunes.

You're advised not to use this app, especially when you expect important calls.

cheers, 
C

latest ios. 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Behaviours - Support for iTunes® & AirPlay®
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - iPhone™ / iPod® touch / AJAX Remote
User

18.01.2011 12:54:06
Re: Ajax remote crashes iphone 4.2
View

For starters, the AJAX Remote is not an app (as you seem to think). It's a web page. And it can't do or cause anything of what you try to blame it for.

And, I'm sorry, but reading your post, that doesn't seem to be the only thing where you look uninformed. I'd really advise you to inform yourself about how web pages work and how constrained they are by the browser before posting such a complete nonsense about AJAX Remote and - by extension - discredit my work along with it.

As a matter of fact all web pages - including AJAX Remote - run FULLY SANDBOXED and as immediate effect of this:

a) can NOT render your phone unresponsive 
b) do NOT have any influence beyond what's displayed in the area of the browser that it runs in 
c) they can in particular NOT crash your phone 
d) they can in particular NOT render your home button unresponsive 
e) they can in particular NOT have ANY effect on your phone's ability to restart

AT WORST - and provided that the browser a web application runs in has a bug - the browser (and only the browser) could crash while executing a web page. Which, on the iPhone, will bring you back to your home screen. And that's it.

It's also worth mentioning that Safari itself *also* runs in a sandboxed environment and does NOT access any parts of the iPhone's filesystem that are critical for booting the phone's OS. No matter how often Safari crashes, it can never have any effect on your phone's ability to boot.

Safari on the iPhone had some general stability issues with iPhoneOS 1.x. Sooner or later it'd always crash after longer, continued use (and bring you back to the home screen) on whichever page it'd currently view. Stability improved with iPhoneOS 2.0 and we haven't seen any more crashes since Apple released iPhoneOS 3.0. We consider the version of Safari included with iOS 4 rock solid.

The only group of people we've heard of who have stability issues (in general, not limited to, but also with Safari) with their iPhones to date are those who have jailbroken their iPhones and/or modified them in other ways. But then, these people know what they're doing with/to their phones. Or so one should think ..

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

18.01.2011 13:21:07
Re: Ajax remote crashes iphone 4.2
View

Hi Felix,

Thanks for your beautiful explanation of how things should work in this world. 
Unfortunately, neither mr Jobs nor yourself (or anyone else for that matter) seem to get it absolutely flawless. That's ok, the world is used to it.

On the iphone, your web based application is presented as an app. Hence I referred to it as an app.

The app was active when the iphone crashed, I described the circumstances from a user perspective in my first post. 
This crash really happened, therefore it could happen again with someone else. I thought I'd warn you and other users about it.

You wrote that you haven't seen any more crashes since iphone 3. I think I read a similar post on this forum regarding ios 4.1 though. Or otherwise my iphone is just the first one.

I'm glad you took the time to explain that it is really not your fault and your ajax app generally works flawless.

I wish you all the best selling your product. I bought it and use it everyday on my original (not jailbroken whatever that may be) iphone. If I can get it to work again that is.

cheers, 
C

User

18.01.2011 15:35:01
Re: Re: Ajax remote crashes iphone 4.2
View

This crash really happened, therefore it could happen again with someone else. I thought I'd warn you and other users about it.

I'm not doubting that you experienced a crash. I'm just saying that using AJAX Remote can't have caused your problems.

I wish you all the best selling your product. I bought it and use it everyday on my original (not jailbroken whatever that may be) iphone.

Thanks for your support!

If I can get it to work again that is.

Around the time the iPhone 4 came out, I remember to have seen a few tweets from Mac and iPhone developers whose iPhones stopped working and which they weren't able to get back booting even by completely restoring the software. They contacted Apple, who eventually solved the issue by replacing the affected iPhones. Thus I can only recommend you to get in touch with Apple. Maybe your iPhone simply has some sort of manufacturing / hardware defect.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz