Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

26.01.2011 18:05:40
Remote Buddy and slingbox.com
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I'm trying to figure out how to best use Remote Buddy controlling Slingbox.com under either Firefox or Safari (since the Mac SlingPlayer won't do HD!).

I have an older Slingbox Pro with the HD attachment. I have it currently hooked to a Dish VIP722k. We have a Dish VIP211k in our bedroom where we also have a Mac "Media" machine using Remote Buddy.

I thought perhaps I could use my Harmony Remote to control some of the functions, but I can't see how to assign Mac keystrokes to the Harmony, so I'll be limited to the 12 Remote Buddy functions, and I've just about decided which ones I want. HOWEVER, I'm not sure I really want to change the default Firefox settings in case I want to use Firefox for something else later. Is there a way for me to create a custom "app"? For example, show a "Slingbox" app that is really using Firefox, but that can use a different setup?

Or has anyone else come up with an interesting way to control slingbox.com through Remote Buddy?

Thanks.

Danita

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - Harmony® Smart Control
User

04.05.2011 05:55:05
Re: Remote Buddy and slingbox.com
View

I have exactly the same issue, I was thinking on sacryfing Safari commands, however I wanted something more sophisticated. Right now with slingplayer dektop app I can use a mac mini like a TV seamlessly, with one clic I can open the player, connect and go fullscreen, with another close and sleep computer, also control volume, yellow, green, red and blue buttons etc. Don't know how to do the same in Safari or Firefox. Would be great if someone has a solution. Cheers.

User

04.05.2011 17:06:43
View

My ultimate solution was to pull out the SlingCatcher from the closet and hook it up! It was just easier to use something "non-web" for SlingBox, and since I had a SlingCatcher that wasn't being used, it worked out. But it would be nice to find a way to have better web site control with Remote Buddy.

Danita

User

09.05.2011 01:45:43
View

Thank you for your reply Danita. I didn't like to use my slingcatcher for this, not quite happy with the video quality and is not possible to use a proxy server unless you setup a router and since I already have the mac mini connected to the TV I prefered to stick to that. I'm glad you are happy with Slingcatcher, hopefully someone else have any idea about how to use the browser player wit remote buddy or much better slingbox releases a new version for mac (a decent one).

best regards.