Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

03.03.2011 12:00:42
Create behaviour WITH context menu..?
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi there,

I understand that I can create a costum behaviour, add the actions to it and test, compile and implement.

What I do not understand: Some of the given behaviours have a context menu (when you use them), e.g. EyeTV lets you access the recordings, Itunes you can select from the library.

How do I do that?

The reason asking is: I want to extend (or rebuild) a behaviour for my EyeTV. I have some extra activities done via applescript and I want to start them from the context menu (as all if my remotes buttons are already mapped).

I see that I can drag+drop defined activities to the top level or any folder of the menu hierachy. But I cannot put them into the context menu. (Or, in the case I build by own behaviour there is no context menu at all.)

So what can I do???!

The reason why I cannot live with the activities on the top level or a subfolder: I switch between Plex, XBMC and EyeTV and I do not want to have the context menu filled with options that do not apply.

Can anyone help, pleeasssee?!

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Behaviours
Configuration
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - EyeTV Receiver
User

03.03.2011 14:01:01
Re: Create behaviour WITH context menu..?
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.

What I do not understand: Some of the given behaviours have a context menu (when you use them), e.g. EyeTV lets you access the recordings, Itunes you can select from the library.

How do I do that?

You can't achieve this level of integration with Scripted Behaviours. The Behaviours for EyeTV and iTunes are written in Objective-C using Xcode.

The reason asking is: I want to extend (or rebuild) a behaviour for my EyeTV.

Rebuilding will cost you *a lot* of time and you'll loose all special case handling that's part of the EyeTV Behaviour (including special modes for menu navigation) that's difficult or impossible to re-implement in Scripted Behaviours. I therefore can only discourage everyone from doing this. There's nothing to gain here.

I have some extra activities done via applescript and I want to start them from the context menu (as all if my remotes buttons are already mapped).

If all you want to do is add a few actions, the Behaviour Construction Kit is the wrong place to start. For the purpose of extending existing Behaviours, there's the "Custom actions .." item in the action-selection popup at Prefs > Mapping > [Name of the app], where you can add your own actions to an existing Behaviour.

I see that I can drag+drop defined activities to the top level or any folder of the menu hierachy. But I cannot put them into the context menu. (Or, in the case I build by own behaviour there is no context menu at all.)

Verify that you've checked the "Action globally available" checkbox for the respective actions. Your action can then be found in the Menu Item Library under Behaviours > [Name of your Behaviour / Name of the Behaviour you added a custom action to] at Prefs > Menu > [Name of application whose context menu you want to change].

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz