Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

05.03.2011 21:25:38
RB crashes when setup wizard trys to install driver
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.

Hi,

I'm rebuilding my system with a fresh install of OSX 10.6.6 and RB is the first 3rd part app I installed. When I run RB for the first time the setup wizard asks if I want to install the driver. However after proceeding with this the application crashes with the following error:

Executing '/bin/rm -drf "/private/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++/TemporaryItems/RBIOKitHelper.kext"' .. 
Exited with code 0 
Executing '/bin/cp -pr "/Applications/≈ì√Ñ0> Program Files/Remote Buddy.app/Contents/Resources/RBIOKitHelper.kext" "/private/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++/TemporaryItems"' .. 
Exited with code 256 
cp failed 
Operation failed

Any thoughts on what this is and how to fix? Literally, this is a virgin operating system with no other applications running so its a bit surprising this has not been a widespread issue. I'm running this on a new 2010 vintage mac mini.

thanks in advance, 
Earl 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Driver
Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

05.03.2011 22:00:06
Re: RB crashes when setup wizard trys to install driver
View

Thanks for asking.

This isn't really a crash (if, however, Remote Buddy *actually* crashes, please send me the corresponding crash log, so I can check it out).

It's a problem during installation, caused by the location you copied Remote Buddy to (a subfolder of /Applications with special characters in it) and that the command line tools used for installing don't seem to get along with.

You can easily fix this problem by 
1) Quitting Remote Buddy

2) moving Remote Buddy either 
a) directly to /Applications 
b) to a subfolder of /Applications that's made up only of ASCII characters

3) Launching Remote Buddy from there. You can now install the driver.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

06.03.2011 11:20:41
Re: RB crashes when setup wizard trys to install driver
View

Thanks Felix.

My mistake on calling it a crash...

I'll move it to the applications folder and install the driver from there. After this is done, will I be able to move the application file back to it's current subfolder? Or, is the driver somehow connected to the application location?

Earl 

User

07.03.2011 10:51:01
Re: Re: RB crashes when setup wizard trys to install driver
View

You can move Remote Buddy anywhere after installing the driver.

Just, when updating the driver the next time, you'll have to quit RB and move it back to a folder without non-ASCII characters again in order to update the driver.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz