Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

06.03.2011 03:29:59
Remote Buddy somehow constraining Drobo file transfer bandwidth
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
This is going to sound crazy, but Remote Buddy (v1.16.6) is causing a per-flow rate limit on SMB transfers to my Drobo FS. I noticed that my Mac Minis were having a really hard time streaming video from my Drobo FS (I have two, both configured with Remote Buddy). I spent all day troubleshooting. I replaced Ethernet cables, wired the Mac Minis direct to the Drobo FS, performed iPerf tests between my two Mac Minis and my iMac, and transfered files between machines using SMB. Machine to machine transfers worked great. SMB transfers from my Drobo to my iMac worked great. But I couldn't get anything over 2MBps (yes, MBytes/sec) to my mac minis. So, I start turning things off on the Mac Minis. It turns out, as soon as I turn off Remote Buddy, file transfers shoot up to 35MBps (280Mbps). This is easily duplicable.

The really strange thing is that it's not an overall bandwidth throttling. It's a per-flow throttling. When I select 10 files at once and drag them from my Drobo to my Mac Mini, the files are transferred serially and the transfer only gets 1-2MBps. If I drag the files one-by-one from my Drobo to my Mac Mini, *each* file gets 1-2MBps of bandwidth and the overall bandwidth goes up to a ceiling of about 35MBps.

I can't think of any reason why an IR utility would affect data transfer, or why that utility is only affecting SMB data transfers to my Drobo, but not to other machines on my network. Anyway, this drove me nuts for a good 5 hours today, so posting in case others have seen similar problems. Hopefully the devs know what to do with it. 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - iPhone™ / iPod® touch / AJAX Remote
User

07.03.2011 10:48:01
Re: Remote Buddy somehow constraining Drobo file transfer bandwidth
View

Thanks for asking.

Are you using a 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi connection and a Wii Remote (or another Bluetooth remote)?

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

08.03.2011 00:22:00
Re: Remote Buddy somehow constraining Drobo file transfer bandwidth
View

I have a wifi router with both 2.4 and 5Ghz signals. This is manifesting itself when the wifi is off and the Drobo is directly connected via ethernet (and via a switch- I've tested several different physical topologies with different ethernet cabling). No, I'm just using the standard IR Apple Remote. 
User

15.03.2011 17:42:01
Re: Re: Remote Buddy somehow constraining Drobo file transfer bandwidth
View

Thanks for the info.

I asked, because Bluetooth shares the 2.4 GHz range with WiFi and pairing a Wii Remote with Remote Buddy can increase traffic over it, leading to more collisions. In that case, connecting to WiFi over a 5 GHz range is the solution.

If you're accessing your Drobo via Ethernet, I can't see how the use of Remote Buddy could directly affect your network performance. It contains no code that could.

I can, however, imagine a possible indirect effect of one option:

At Prefs > Movie Library, Remote Buddy offers the option to automatically find VIDEO_TS folders using Spotlight (on by default). If the index Spotlight has built isn't sufficient for Spotlight to serve the results to Remote Buddy's query, Spotlight might perform a full scan of your network drive - which can result in a performance hit when you access that network drive at the same time. You can turn off this Spotlight search at Prefs > Movie Library.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz