Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

25.05.2011 21:37:19
WANTED: Beta testers for the upcoming Remote Buddy update
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi everyone,

after the last PowerPC machine here quit service a few months ago, I can no longer test Remote Buddy updates on a PowerPC-based Mac personally.

Since Remote Buddy 1.17 features a re-structured driver architecture, I'd like to verify that the driver continues to work just fine on PowerPC-based Macs before releasing the update.

If you'd like to help out, here's what I'll need you to do:

1) Post your machine/OS spec to this thread: 
Mac Model (f.ex. iMac G5, Mac Mini G4, iBook G3):

IR Receiver (f.ex. built-in, USB MCE receiver, USB Keyspan IR receiver):

Remote control(s) (f.ex. Apple Remote, Wii Remote, ..):

OS version in use (f.ex. OS X 10.4 Tiger, 10.5 Leopard):

2) If I choose you as a beta-tester, I'll send you a link to a pre-release of V1.17.

3) Download and install it (including the updated Remote Buddy driver it comes with).

4) Reboot and check that your receiver and remote work as before.

5) Report the result of this short test back to me.

Thanks in advance for your time and effort.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Built-in Online Updater
Driver
General
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - eHome 2005
User

28.05.2011 11:09:16
Re: WANTED: Beta testers for the upcoming Remote Buddy update
View

Hi, 
This version does not support PPC Mac and not installing.

Last edited: 28.05.2011 11:13:58 

User

28.05.2011 13:50:01
Re: Re: WANTED: Beta testers for the upcoming Remote Buddy update
View

Thanks for asking.

Please allow me to quote the release notes regarding PPC support: 
-- cut -- 
Important notice regarding PowerPC™ support: Our last PowerPC™ machine quit service, so we are no longer able to test new releases for compatibility with PowerPC™ machines ourselves. Since we got zero feedback when searching for beta testers via the Remote Buddy forum and Twitter, we estimate interest in PowerPC™ support to be very low, maybe even completely absent by now. So, starting with this release, we're dropping support for PowerPC™ Macs. The - as of now - last release of Remote Buddy with support for PowerPC™ CPUs can be downloaded from the Remote Buddy FAQ.

If you happen to still use a PowerPC™-based Mac® and you'd like to help out with beta testing, please get in touch. If there's enough interest and we can gather a critical mass of beta testers, PowerPC™ support may return in the next release. 
-- cut --

You can get the previous release - which still has PowerPC support - at: 
http://www.iospirit.com/support/faqs/remotebuddy/category/6/General/entry/245/a/

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

30.05.2011 09:00:04
View

I'd like to volunteer for the beta program. Here is the requested info:

Mac Mini G4 1.25, Leopard 10.5.8, Mantra TR-1 IR receiver

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Thanks

Tim 

User

25.06.2011 07:37:37
View

I found this thread after discovering that my Remote Buddy application offers this warning after an update; "You cannot open the application "Remote Buddy" because it is not supported on this architecture. Clearly I should have been in on this beta testing before the update was released.

~mike

Mac Mini 
1.5 GHz PowerPC G4 
1GB DDR SDRAM

OS X 10.5.8 - Leopard

no IR receiver 
Wii remote 

User

25.06.2011 12:55:06
View

Thanks for your feedback. At this point, I'm no longer looking for beta testers.

As for the reasons, here's a follow-up regarding PowerPC™ support from the IOSPIRIT Blog:

-- cut -- 
Follow-up regarding PowerPC™ support

I had to omit PPC support in the Remote Buddy 1.17 and Candelair 1.5 releases because I no longer have access to a PowerPC™ machine for testing purposes and nobody came back to me in time in response to my public search for PPC beta testers via the Remote Buddy forum and Twitter.

In the last two weeks since the release of the update, I have received only four emails regarding the lack of PPC support - of which two offered their help (thanks!). While I appreciate these very much, it also shows that interest in continued PPC support is very low - even much lower than I would have expected.

Therefore - and I really didn't make this decision lightheartedly - the discontinuation of PPC support is now permanent. As a service to those few who still use Remote Buddy on a PPC machine, the last release with PPC support remains available for download from the Remote Buddy FAQ. 
-- cut --

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz