Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

30.05.2011 02:55:33
Behaviour not working in fullscreen (Google Chrome)
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I set up a behaviour for Google Chrome with several actions: toggle fullscreen, play/pause Netflix, enter fullscreen on Netflix, and exit Netflix fullscreen on my Harmony One remote. These work perfectly when Google Chrome is windowed, but don't work when Chrome is in fullscreen. When I try to play/pause Netflix when it's already in fullscreen, for instance, I get the standard mac error sound as if I'm trying to use an application that isn't active.

Under Application specific options under Implementation, I have tried it with all combinations of "activate application and bring it to front" and "send event directly to this application" both checked and unchecked, but it makes no difference.

When I test the action to exit fullscreen with the "run actor in 3 seconds option", it does correctly take Netflix out of fullscreen mode, but once I try it with the remote, it doesn't work. Is there anything else I can do?

Edit: The same thing happens in Safari. Works in windowed mode, but not fullscreen.

Edit 2: Toggle fullscreen (cmd shift F) works perfectly with the remote. It's only once I'm on the Netflix site and play/pause (spacebar) in fullscreen or exit fullscreen (escape) that it doesn't work.

Last edited: 30.05.2011 18:30:06 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware
Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

10.06.2011 21:35:01
Re: Behaviour not working in fullscreen (Google Chrome)
View

Thanks for asking.

I could not reproduce the issue with Chrome 12.0.742.91.

If you're using Flash content in fullscreen, chances are this is the root of the problem as it may be executed in a separate process that doesn't identify as Chrome. This in turn would trigger Remote Buddy to switch away from the Google Chrome Behaviour to another Behaviour - which may not have anything mapped for the buttons you press - and you'll get a standard mac error sound.

You could possibly get around this by telling Remote Buddy to make the selection of this particular Behaviour sticky - until you explicitly deactivate it. You can do this via AppleScript to make the current Behaviour (yours) "stick":

-- cut -- 
tell application "Remote Buddy" 
behaviourcore accessor "setSticky" with stickyValue 
end tell 
-- cut --

Another possibility would be that when you send the keystroke, the respective window (from Flash and/or Chrome) doesn't have keyboard focus and that the keystroke you send creates the standard mac error sound. For this, I can't offer a solution, sorry.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

11.06.2011 08:14:15
View

Thanks for your suggestions. I tried making the current behaviour stick, but it didn't change anything.

I finally got it working by changing the mapping. Instead of mapping the button presses to the activities I created, I mapped them to the virtual keyboard commands for spacebar (play/pause) and escape (exit fullscreen on netflix.com). I don't know why this way works better in fullscreen on netflix, but it does.

Last edited: 11.06.2011 08:15:14 

User

03.05.2012 14:15:28
View

the problem is when you run on fullscreen mode, the application runing is Silverlight plugin, not Safari, then the behaviour reject the key.

I tried diferent names without success on the behaviour bundle fields in both application recognition and application specific options.

I tried these names: com.microsoft.silverlightplugin and com.microsoft.silverlight, but didnt work.

Fixing this, we can use remote buddy to control other apps that runs under safari or firefox or chrome. 

User

05.05.2012 15:58:02
View

Thanks for asking.

Google Chrome, like Safari, uses a separate process to sandbox plugins. When plugins implement a full screen mode, it's these separate processes that become the active application.

Beginning with version 1.20, Remote Buddy also detects these separate processes and doesn't switch to another Behaviour. I've just (re-)tested this successfully with Remote Buddy 1.21, the respectively latest versions of Chrome and Safari and a YouTube video in full screen mode.

If you add custom actions to the Safari or Chrome Behaviours, please be sure not to target specific applications with your action, as both Safari and Chrome aren't the right addressees when a plugin runs in full screen mode. Instead, you'd need to send any key presses to com.apple.WebKit.PluginProcess (Safari) or com.google.Chrome.helper.EH (Chrome) respectively. You increase chances of your action to work in both full screen and non full screen mode when you don't use the option to send key presses directly to an application (so it's posted as regular keypress event that goes to whatever application is currently front most).

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

13.10.2012 20:45:43
View

Hello Felix (and Penney),

Just a couple of comments. First off, thanks again Felix for your dedication and support for Remote Buddy. I sometimes have a little trouble figuring it out, but it always seems to work in the end.

I use Netflix to stream movies from my Mac to my HDTV. I tried using the instructions from JoseC's April 5 post (forumentry_id=16112) to create my behavior workflow. I created two behaviors, SafariNetflixWindowed & SafariNetflixFullscreen. The com.google.Safari bundle identifier worked fine for windowed actions, but not com.apple.WebKit.PluginProcess.

Next, I installed Google Chrome, which worked. Both bundle identifiers (com.google.Chrome & com.google.Chrome.helper.EH) worked fine.

I had a little trouble during test compiling. Sometimes when a behavior/activation did not work, I had to rebuild/re-compile it (had to make sure to physically drag the application to the different bundle identifier fields, not just enter the text). After rebuilding correctly, Remote Buddy does a great job of identifying Chrome & its Netflix helper app when Netflix is switched between windowed and fullscreen modes (don't need to manually activate each behavior, Remote Buddy does that automatically).

Observation: I often multi-task on a second monitor, while watching streamed Netflix content, which changes the selected application away from Chrome/Netflix a lot. I have found it useful to check the box next to "Send event directly to this application" for actions in the ChromeNetflixWindowed behavior. However, I have noticed that actions in ChromeNetflixFullscreen do not seem to work unless I keep this box unchecked.

My advice to anyone reading this post who's trying to get their behaviors to work properly is to be patient. Once you figure out how to use the Behavior Construction Kit, it becomes a lot easier. Don't get frustrated, just try rebuilding your behavior, carefully.

Thanks again for the great software!

Chapin 
chapinbk@hotmail.com 
MacBook Pro Retina (mid-2012), OS X 10.8.2, Remote Buddy 1.22