Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

01.06.2011 16:34:32
Safe procedure to clear / restore user data?
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Over a long time, there have been many incremental Remote Buddy Upgrades. And many new / updated behaviours. I believe that my RB settings and user data may have some old artifacts that remain within it.

So how to delete all of the RB configuration, but backup and to restore afterward all of the custom actions, custom behaviours, individual key assignments in the global behaviour, and so on?

I ask this after experiencing a very persistent problem that won't go away:

When Launching a global action (overlay), the Applescript launches an application. RB then returns to the "previous behaviour". However this return-to behaviour is always stuck as "Spotify" (once Spotify has been activated at least once before since the start of the RB session. However the dsired behaviour is to return to the previous (last active) RB behaviour. Which happens only if Spotify has never been activated during the session.

Its just speculation, but:

Feels like an unknown configuration option from older version of RB are still pointing to the Spotify behaviour. Perhaps from before it was introduced the new behaviour named "Default Behaviour". Unfortunately there seems no method to just remove only the setting that always points to the Spotify behaviour. At least, from what I can see in the latest versions of Remote Buddy.

I saw a "startup behaviour" setting in General->Advanced->StartupOptions, which unfortunately does not solve this. And neither does the "Restore to Defaults" button.

So how to manually clear out all of my RB configuration files. And safely backup / restore everything that was user customized ? 
Note: including the PS3 Remote key assignments in the pre-programmed behaviours !!?? 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Configuration
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - Wii™ Remote
User

10.06.2011 20:55:01
Re: Safe procedure to clear / restore user data?
View

Thanks for asking.

So how to delete all of the RB configuration, but backup and to restore afterward all of the custom actions, custom behaviours, individual key assignments in the global behaviour, and so on?

Please see this FAQ entry for the location of the preferences files: 
http://www.iospirit.com/support/faqs/remotebuddy/category/8/Configuration/entry/242/How-can-I-backup-and-restore-my-Remote-Buddy-preferences-/

Although I don't think that your settings play a role here (see below).

When Launching a global action (overlay), the Applescript launches an application. RB then returns to the "previous behaviour". However this return-to behaviour is always stuck as "Spotify" (once Spotify has been activated at least once before since the start of the RB session. However the dsired behaviour is to return to the previous (last active) RB behaviour. Which happens only if Spotify has never been activated during the session.

In a nutshell, this is what Remote Buddy does to determine which application to control / which Behaviour to pick:

1) Check the currently active (in terms of "input focus") application: if there's a behavior for it, it gets picked. If not, it proceeds with 2).

2) Check which applications are running in the background: if there's a behavior that supports background control of a running application, it gets picked. If not, it proceeds with 3)

3) Switch to the Default Behaviour.

The Spotify Behaviour supports background control. It will therefore be picked automatically when:

1) there's no behavior for the currently active application 
2) Spotify is running

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

11.06.2011 10:33:02
Re: Re: Safe procedure to clear / restore user data?
View

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 7:55 PM, Felix 
wrote:

Thanks for asking.

Please see this FAQ entry for the location of the preferences files: 
http://www.iospirit.com/support/faqs/remotebuddy/category/8/Configuration/entry/242/How-can-I-backup-and-restore-my-Remote-Buddy-preferences-/

Although I don't think that your settings play a role here (see below).

In a nutshell, this is what Remote Buddy does to determine which application to control / which Behaviour to pick:

1) Check the currently active (in terms of "input focus") application: if there's a behavior for it, it gets picked. If not, it proceeds with 2).

2) Check which applications are running in the background: if there's a behavior that supports background control of a running application, it gets picked. If not, it proceeds with 3)

3) Switch to the Default Behaviour.

The Spotify Behaviour supports background control. It will therefore be picked automatically when:

1) there's no behavior for the currently active application 
2) Spotify is running

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz

Thank you Felix. Theres a follow-on question about behaviour 
priorities. Its a seperate thread.

[standard mail footer removed]