Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

08.06.2011 10:19:52
Mapping of buttons - Step-by-Step
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi Support Forum.

I am new to Mac, I am new to Remote Buddy, and I am definitely new to programming in Apple Script.

I have a MacBookPro that I want to use as a teleprompter "server".

I have fighted with the mapping of buttons for many days, but simply can't get it to work.

Can someone please explain in a simple Step-by-Step list (For dummies - I am a programmer) how to change the functions of the buttons on my Mac Remote Controller (the new one with 3 buttons) so that:

When I press ex. the Play/Pause button, it presses 1 on the keyboard. When I press one more time, it presses 2 on the keyboard. If I press one more time it presses 1 on the keyboard. (Toggle function).?

If this is too complicated then:

How do I map the "Up" click on the remote to press "1" on the keyboard and the "Down" click on the remote to press "2" on the keyboard?

In both cases I can "live" with a global mapping even though I rather have it mapped to the use of a certain "Non standard" programme.

In the Step-by-Step list please include how to assign to the use of a special programme.

Ex. The programme could be Safari where I code a "Submit" button to be triggered when the "1" in the keyboard is pressed.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

You have created at cool software product, I just miss using it for my purpose.

Best regards,

Christian - iMARKETING.dk

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

10.06.2011 21:12:02
Re: Mapping of buttons - Step-by-Step
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Thanks for asking.

When I press ex. the Play/Pause button, it presses 1 on the keyboard. When I press one more time, it presses 2 on the keyboard. If I press one more time it presses 1 on the keyboard. (Toggle function).?

You can achieve this by using the read/store value (to read and write your value) and keystroke AppleScript commands supplied by Remote Buddy to achieve that. Sample code for these commands can be found in AppleScript Editor > Library (you may need to drag Remote Buddy onto the Library window) as part of Remote Buddy's AppleScript dictionary.

If this is too complicated then:

How do I map the "Up" click on the remote to press "1" on the keyboard and the "Down" click on the remote to press "2" on the keyboard?

This is simpler:

For this, you'll need two actions: 
1) one that contains one keystroke actor sending a "1" press on the keyboard 
2) another that contains one keystroke actor sending a "2" press on the keyboard

In both cases I can "live" with a global mapping even though I rather have it mapped to the use of a certain "Non standard" program me.

What you'll want to do then is to create a Behaviour of your own for just that application.

In the Step-by-Step list please include how to assign to the use of a special program me.

Would a complete video do, too?

This video shows the entire process of creating and testing a Behaviour that sends keystrokes: 
http://www.iospirit.com/products/remotebuddy/videos/#behaviourconstructionkitintro

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz