Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

08.06.2011 15:20:16
Virtual Keyboard conflict Apple Remote
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I created a individual mapping for my "elive Bluetooth mini keyboard". When the virtual keyboard is activated the Apple Remote does not respond anymore correctly. How do I manage this? 
Many thanks 
Christian 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - Harmony® Smart Control
Hardware - Sony® BD Remote Control
Hardware - Wii™ Remote
User

10.06.2011 21:15:01
Re: Virtual Keyboard conflict Apple Remote
View

Thanks for asking.

I created a individual mapping for my "elive Bluetooth mini keyboard".

This device isn't supported by Remote Buddy itself, so I'm not sure what you mean with "individual mapping". An OS X keymap - or - did you adjust Remote Buddy's HotKey Remote's settings?

When the virtual keyboard is activated the Apple Remote does not respond anymore correctly. How do I manage this?

What do you mean with "does not respond anymore correctly"? F.ex.: 
1) What steps you performing? 
2) What happens? 
3) What would you expect to happen instead?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

11.06.2011 19:15:14
View

individual mapping or better I set up some individual hotkeys in hotkey remote of the hardware section.

f.e arrow up =menu up, arrow left = menu left etc.

When I activate hotkey remote I can not navigate the remote buddy menu or EyeTV menu with Apple remote anymore. 
Thanks Christian

Last edited: 11.06.2011 19:16:12 

User

14.06.2011 15:27:01
View

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure, though, that I really understand what the problem is.

individual mapping or better I set up some individual hotkeys in hotkey remote of the hardware section.

f.e arrow up =menu up, arrow left = menu left etc.

With this setting, all key presses of the respective keys - even those simulated by Remote Buddy itself - will be captured and translated into events to control Remote Buddy.

Since most Behaviours' actions (including the Virtual Keyboard!) send arrow key presses as well, using such settings will render large parts of Remote Buddy unusable.

With these settings, if you use the Virtual Keyboard and press a button on your Apple Remote, that's what happens:

Apple Remote Button Press => Virtual Keyboard => sends cursor key => captured by HotKey remote (due to your settings) => turns it into a button press => Virtual Keyboard => sends cursor key => captured by HotKey remote (due to your settings) => turns it into a button press => Virtual Keyboard => sends cursor key => ..

When I activate hotkey remote I can not navigate the remote buddy menu or EyeTV menu anymore.

Emulated arrow keys are also used for controlling EyeTV - and with the settings you're using - will set in motion the same infinite loop described above.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

14.06.2011 16:38:15
View

OK thanks I understand. I have a loop.

But how do I use a keyboard in parallel to my Apple Remote with as less as possible extra keystrokes or hotkeys?

F.e. start Safari via RB and my mini-keyboard, type a text in Youtube leanback modus jump to the couch and navigate the rest with Apple Remote or even eyeTV.

Thanks Christian

User

20.06.2011 14:54:02
View

To use your keyboard to control Remote Buddy with Hotkey Remote, you should define hotkeys that have as many modifier keys (ctrl, alt, cmd, shift) as possible to reduce the possibility that they conflict with what other application's use as shortcuts.

The hotkey remote was originally created to make controlling Remote Buddy with handsets from Sony Ericcson (which can/could act as Bluetooth keyboards with pre-defined button->virtual key combination map) easier. For these, using many modifier keys doesn't matter. They're only in the profile after all.

If you're using a mixture of Apple Remote and a keyboard, you might prefer to keep using your keyboard as a regular keyboard and control Remote Buddy solely with your Apple Remote.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz