Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

24.07.2011 20:01:02
Can I use remote buddy to logout/login a user
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I would like to use remote buddy with a macmini, harmony remote and Plex .9. I know all that is possible without remote buddy but here is the rub. Plex .9 does not yet have parental controls so I need to setup to separate user accounts, one for parents and one for kids. These different user accounts will have access to different folders on the NAS holding the media.

My question is "Can I use remote buddy to logout the current user and login a new user with a button on my Harmony 880?" If I can do it, how does one set that up? Also, is it possible to use the numbers on the harmony remote to enter a password for the "parent" user account?

thanks. 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - Harmony® Smart Control
User

27.07.2011 22:46:01
Re: Can I use remote buddy to logout/login a user
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Thanks for asking.

Remote Buddy needs to run in the context of a user's session. Since logging out will inevitably terminate Remote Buddy as well, I can't see a way how it could be used to log in another user then - it is no longer running at that time.

Fast User Switching might be something you might want to explore. This could possibly be made working with some UI scripting. Unless of course, security restrictions of OS X prevent you from using UI scripting for this. I really can't tell. I never tried to do this.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz