Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

03.08.2011 19:33:07
Lion: after uninstalling, apple remote does not work for video player
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I downloaded the trial version because I wanted to use apple remote for one of my music player app, well the interface seems a bit too complex for me, so I did not really use it and uninstalled it. However, afterwards I realized that my video player app, such as splayerx and mplayerx, wouldn't respond to apple remote anymore (they used to work fine, with play/pause/next/forward/menu etc). Right now, if I use the above video app to play a video and use apple remote, it would only control iTunes (which is really annoying, I do not need to listen to other music when watching a video), even if I close iTunes, apple remote still note work with the video app, it will only re-opens iTunes, which is really frustrating.

How can I restore the connection between apple remote and my video app after uninstalling remote buddy? 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware
Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

03.08.2011 22:07:01
Re: Lion: after uninstalling, apple remote does not work for video player
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Thanks for asking.

When uninstalling Remote Buddy, did you also uninstall its Candelair driver (via its Setup Wizard)?

It usually doesn't matter, but some apps use outdated (and conceptually broken) code for their Apple Remote support, which is - unlike OS X itself and modern applications like EyeTV, Plex, XBMC, Boxee, iAlertU, iTunes, Keynote, iPhoto, PowerPoint and Remote Buddy - still depending on OS X driver internals. These applications' Apple Remote support is very fragile and easily breaks in consequence. These apps previously already broke under OS X 10.4.9, 10.5 and 10.6.2 when Apple updated the OS X Apple Remote driver. Now these apps break again under OS X 10.7 (Lion) when you use an alternate driver like Candelair in Lion's 64 Bit environment, where a compatibility layer for outdated code as used by these apps is no longer available (more info on this subject with more technical information can be found in our blog).

There's a better, future proof and user-friendly alternative available to these developers free of charge in the form of our HIDRemote class for a couple years now. And I can only recommend everyone to ask their favorite app's developers to adopt it, so that the app they rely on doesn't break the next time either Apple updates the OS X driver (which can happen at any time) or you're using alternative drivers like Candelair.

Regarding the apps you mention I know of at least MPlayerX that the author is already preparing an update using our HIDRemote class. I don't know about splayerx, though. If you rely on it, please consider sending its developer(s) an email.

Since you still seem to have Candelair installed and you depend on applications with outdated Apple Remote support code - which break under Lion due to the non-availability of a compatibility layer - the quick solution for you is to uninstall the Candelair driver.

For this, you can either use Remote Buddy's Setup Wizard and choose the Uninstall option - or - download a copy of Candelair (completely free) from our website and use the uninstall button in its System Preferences preference pane to remove the Candelair driver component. Once you used the uninstall option and rebooted, your apps will find the driver internals they depend on in the only place they look for, again, and should function again. The real solution, however, would be for these apps to adopt the HIDRemote class to implement modern, user-friendly Apple Remote support that just works.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz