Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

08.08.2011 09:49:11
standard keypress hangs in selfcreated action
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hello RB-team, 
In version 1.18.1 construction kit I have created various actions consisting of multiple events, whereby I typically first activate another app with applescript, and after that use the standard RB event to stroke a key, sometimes set as a single keystroke, at other times (e.g. controlling volume) a keystroke set to autorepeat between pressing and releasing the button on the AJAX remote. 
In both cases it happens very often that the key seems to 'hang' after I have release the AJAX-remote-button already, with causes my volume to keep going up or down without a possibility of stopping it, or a field get's a value of 44444444444... instead of 4.

I am sure that RB knows that the AJAX remote button was released as well, because an event based on that release (in my case command tab which toggles back to the previous app) does get executed.

When I switch to another app while this is happening, the same key-stroke stays hanging, so for example another field in another application also automatically get the value 44444444444... (only if the other field-format/syntax allows such values of course)

When I quit RB, the hanging ends. This looks to me like RB is causing the hanging.

I use the Ajax remote (Touch) to control RB on a Macbook pro intel core duo.

I hope you can help, because if this cannot be fixed, it means that RB is not usable for me, and I very much like all the features it has!

Last edited: 08.08.2011 09:49:44

Last edited: 08.08.2011 09:52:15 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Configuration
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - iPhone™ / iPod® touch / AJAX Remote
User

08.08.2011 09:57:01
Re: standard keypress hangs in selfcreated action
View

Thanks for asking.

Can you send me an action pack (select the action in Action Factory, then select "Save as action pack" from the gears icon) of the action in question? Or the complete Behaviour containing that action along with the name of the action you see this issue with?

If yes, please send them to info ~at~ iospirit _dot_ c o m.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

09.08.2011 21:50:09
Re: standard keypress hangs in selfcreated action
View

OK some additional experimenting teaches me that when I replace all the standard RB key strokes by pieces of apple script using a key code command, the problem is reduced to an almost acceptable level: in this case the accuracy with which RB executes the actions defined under the remote buttons increases to the point where only pushing the buttons very fast leads to mistakes (e.g. 'key stroke up' is applied to the wrong application because switching back and forth between applications is not entirely in sync with the execution of the actual event 'keystroke up').

Does anyone have a similar experience? I would be interested in further optimization, because as explained above, the issue is not totally eliminated.