Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

10.08.2011 06:33:23
Remote Buddy with Plex
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi! I am new to mac (just got my first imac yesterday). I am using Plex to create a media centre for the imac. All good so far. The Apple remote works exactly as I want it to.

However - Lion as ruined the wake from sleep feature. As documeted elswhere, the screen will not wake the system. I am aware the current version of remote buddy fixes this.

So this is my question - can I install remote buddy but keep the exact functionality I currently have with my apple remote. By that I mean when I am in the OS and press menu, I want plex to open automatically as it already does. I don't want an extra remote buddy menu to go through before plex opens.

Is there a way to maintain this fuctionality (i.e. no remote buddy menus) but also get the benefit of remote buddy waking up the screen when it goes to sleep? If so - can you please document how to do this?

Thanks! 
Josh 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

10.08.2011 10:10:01
Re: Remote Buddy with Plex
View

Thanks for asking.

You can pass through all Apple Remote events directly to the system using Remote Buddy's Virtual Remote. For this, you can follow the pictured "Harmony" Q&A here:

http://www.iospirit.com/blog/article/131/Remote-Buddy-and-Boxee-Plex-and-XBMC/

However, to just pass through button presses to the system, assign the Virtual Remote actions directly at Prefs > Mapping > Global mapping, not at Prefs > Mapping > Plex as in the Q&A.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

11.08.2011 00:12:33
View

Hi Felix! thanks for the quick and detailed response

can you just clarify what the difference is between following the pictures in the link you posted, and following your qualifying statement after (i.e. have the events sent straight to the system) - what does all this mean?

And can I just confirm - will doing this mean I can push "menu" on my apple remote and just have plex open as it currently does without remote buddy installed, and not have the remote buddy menu system open?

Sorry I am very new to this! 
Thanks 
Josh

Last edited: 11.08.2011 00:21:44 

User

12.08.2011 11:33:54
View

can you just clarify what the difference is between following the pictures in the link you posted, and following your qualifying statement after (i.e. have the events sent straight to the system) - what does all this mean?

The instructions in the blog post only pass Apple Remote events through to the system when Plex is active.

If, however, instead you assign these actions under "Global mapping", they are always active - regardless of what application is currently active.

Remote Buddy uses its own event and driver infrastructure that's located on level above the OS X event system. When using actions from Remote Buddy's Virtual Remote, what happens is that Remote Buddy synthesizes events and passes them "down" to the OS X event system for the Apple Remote.

And can I just confirm - will doing this mean I can push "menu" on my apple remote and just have plex open as it currently does without remote buddy installed, and not have the remote buddy menu system open?

Given the information you provided and that you configure Remote Buddy correctly, that's how things should work afterwards.

Since I don't know your setup in detail, though, and the stock OS X Apple Remote driver provided by Apple has so many error sources that are completely unrelated to and outside of control of Remote Buddy, I can't give you any confirmation of anything, though. There are simply too many factors to consider - including, but not limited to other applications you have installed that may try to get exclusive access to the OS X Apple Remote driver at the same time Plex does.

You don't need to buy Remote Buddy in order to just try things out, though. We have a free, 30 day trial version available for download from the Remote Buddy website with which you can try out everything in your particular setup without spending any money.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

15.08.2011 12:53:30
View

Thanks! that worked a treat and i am now a remote buddy owner :-)

I have another question though - how can I do the following

1. Hold down menu to open remote buddy main menu (already doing) 
2. Have as the first 2 options in favourites: PLEX and EYETV 
3. When plex is open, plex gets all control (already doing) 
4. When eyetv is open, eye tv gets all control (at the moment I cant even get eye tv to be controlled by my apple remote.)

thanks!!

P.s. It seems that if the eyetv remote recover is turned off then I get apple remote control - however every time I open eyetv, the eyetv remote receiver reactivates, stoping me from using my apple tv remote (as the USB is behind my iMac monitor and as such out of line of sight). Can I have a setting to always turn the eye tv remote receiver off? Of at least another way to get access to eyetv using the apple remote

Last edited: 15.08.2011 22:45:29

Last edited: 15.08.2011 23:55:39