Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

10.08.2011 08:12:01
Where are settings stored?
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I've just spent a long time creating behaviors and actions for use with my remote harmony. I would like to think I could use these again if I ever have to reformat my computer or buy a new one. Does anyone know if this is possible? I always try and avoid restoring the full computer from the time machine. With most programs it's just a question of copying a few preferences. Where are remote buddy's settings stored?

I assume that there is no way of avoiding re-adding the remote and allocating the keys again. Is this true? Luckily this is quite simple.

Sent from my iPad 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Configuration
Hardware
Hardware - iPhone™ / iPod® touch / AJAX Remote
User

10.08.2011 09:11:11
Re: Where are settings stored?
View

Just make a copy of all the " com.iospirit... " files from: 
~/library/preferences/ 
Then load them into the same location on your new setup before running RB.

Everything will work as before.

Cheers. 

User

10.08.2011 10:31:48
View

Thanks a lot. That's very simple 
User

10.08.2011 10:32:41
View

Thanks a lot. That's very simple 
User

10.08.2011 17:49:59
View

An afterthought. What if I replace the remote harmony with a new remote harmony? Will remote buddy consider it as the same remote and use all the settings of the old remote or will I need to pair the new remote and allocate the keys again? I'm very happy with the way the remote is working with remote buddy but it was quite a task setting it up! 
User

12.08.2011 11:19:01
View

Thanks for asking.

Regarding backup / replication of your settings, instructions are available in the FAQ under: 
http://www.iospirit.com/support/faqs/remotebuddy/category/8/Configuration/

Regarding your Harmony question: 
1) From Remote Buddy's side: the IR codes themselves won't change, so Remote Buddy will just recognize it as previously.

2) From Logitech's side: it depends: 
a) if you replace your remote with the same model: nothing should change.

b) if you replace your remote with another model that uses the same configuration software: your settings are - mostly - transferred by Logitech's software. Detail settings may be lost, though.

c) if you replace your remote with another model that uses a different configuration software (when f.ex. switching to a Harmony 300, which uses myharmony.com): you may or may not be able to transfer your settings. This is something I haven't tried, yet and thus can't share any personal experience.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

12.08.2011 11:43:20
View

Thank you very much for the information. I hadn't found this link on the site. 
I actually found that my behaviors are stored in application support/remote buddy. I assume I shall need these too for remote buddy to work the same way on a new computer. 
When pairing the remote harmony with remote buddy, 10 apple remotes were created. I then mapped these physical remotes with 10 logical remotes I created. 
I assume that as long as I use a new remote harmony which remote buddy treats as 10 apple remotes I can always remap the new apple remotes to the already existing (via the backup of the preferences) 10 logical remotes.

This sounds very complicated when I read it back. I hope the question is clear.

Thanks 

User

12.08.2011 12:00:18
View

I actually found that my behaviors are stored in application support/remote buddy. I assume I shall need these too for remote buddy to work the same way on a new computer.

Sure, if you've created your own Behaviours, you'll want to move them along to.

When pairing the remote harmony with remote buddy, 10 apple remotes were created. I then mapped these physical remotes with 10 logical remotes I created. 
I assume that as long as I use a new remote harmony which remote buddy treats as 10 apple remotes I can always remap the new apple remotes to the already existing (via the backup of the preferences) 10 logical remotes.

Yes, that should be possible.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz