Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

10.08.2011 23:22:40
Navigate lions launchpad
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Im trying to navigate lions launchpad with the apple remote. I have assigned a global mapping to the apple remote menu button to start launchpad. This will start the launchpad. I then would like using RB virtual mouse to navigate the screen. I can't get this to work when the the mappings are created in my created launchpad behaviour. If I do the virtual mouse mappings as global it will work. But then the buttons are locked to virtual mouse in all behaviours…What would be the best way to set up this? 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Behaviours
General
Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

12.08.2011 11:48:05
Re: Navigate lions launchpad
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Thanks for asking.

Lion's launchpad is not suitable for use with keyboard and remote controls in my mind. There's no way to detect whether it's active or not. There is no way to fully control it with keystrokes. Even with a standard mouse, it's not particularly intuitive to navigate pages. That's some of the reasons why it's not supported by Remote Buddy atm. Especially since Remote Buddy's menu already provides everything Launchpad provides - but designed from ground up for use with remote controls.

Regarding your particular experience trying to create a Launchpad Behaviour:

Im trying to navigate lions launchpad with the apple remote. I have assigned a global mapping to the apple remote menu button to start launchpad. This will start the launchpad. I then would like using RB virtual mouse to navigate the screen.

I can't get this to work when the the mappings are created in my created launchpad behavior.

Behaviours are chosen based on which application is active. Since Launchpad is not an application (there's just an application for displaying Launchpad, but that application quits again right after Launchpad has opened), but instead directly integrated into the system services, it's impossible for Remote Buddy to detect whether and when it's active. Your Behaviour's mapping table therefore will not be used.

If I do the virtual mouse mappings as global it will work. But then the buttons are locked to virtual mouse in all behaviours…What would be the best way to set up this?

This answer really would deserve a long, detailed answer, in which I'd explain all the challenges you'd face trying to do this. Since even at best, all you'd be getting would be nothing more than a hard-to-use, unintuitive Behaviour with a whole set of annoying inconsistencies, I really think it's not worth your or my time and effort trying to make something work somehow which really can't be made working satisfactory due to the many technical constraints the current version of Launchpad exhibits.

Should Launchpad get keyboard and mouse friendly in the future, it's certainly something worth looking into again, though. Until then, I recommend simply using Remote Buddy's menu to launch applications.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz