Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

07.09.2011 12:54:12
Remote Buddy causes Screen Sharing to freeze on Virtual Display
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi I am using the latest version of remote buddy on Lion Server. (Running in menu bar + dock if that is relevant.)

While Remote Buddy is running, if I use Screen Sharing from another mac to connect to the Virtual Display the user selection icons do not appear, and instead I get just the grey background of the login page. 
Disconnecting and trying again causes the spinning beachball on the server until I kill the Remote Buddy app process.

If Remote Buddy is not running there are no problems connecting to the Virtual Display. 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

General
Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

09.09.2011 16:16:02
Re: Remote Buddy causes Screen Sharing to freeze on Virtual Display
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Thanks for asking.

Remote Buddy doesn't do anything special that I could identify as being able to cause such an issue. It only opens a standard window and displays a standard view in it after all.

My best guess is that this - at its root - is a bug in the new Virtual Display feature of Lion Server that only Apple will be able to fix. Why?

I'm using a Mac mini server (the first version of the Mac Mini server) with Snow Leopard Server myself and have noticed something really, really odd: if I run the Mac Mini headless - with no display attached - and run standard software like VMWare Fusion, it doesn't display the VMWare Fusion icon correctly, the virtual machines' windows are generally just black and I see a lot of debug info being logged by the OS X graphics system: these log entries indicate the graphics processor (due to no display being attached) is in some kind of sleep state and optimizations inside the OS X graphics system that are written in OpenCL are failing due to it, leading to the display errors. The same happens when I start Time Machine. Remote Buddy, on the other hand, works like a charm, even without any display connected, probably because it only does simple drawing and - with one exception (that I'll explain below) - doesn't use any GPU operations.

Please check your system's logs for output along those lines. Please also check Prefs > Menu > Size & Appearance: have you selected any menu effect there? These effects use Quartz Composer compositions, which, in turn, may be using the GPU in ways the Virtual Display feature of Lion Server currently doesn't support. Just like VMWare Fusion and Time Machine on SL Server described above.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz