Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

14.10.2011 11:23:29
Remote doesn't control Hulu Desktop until a make it active window with mouse click
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hardware: 
* Mac Mini 
* Apple Remote (metal)

Software: 
* Mac OS X 10.7.2 (Lion) 
* Remote Buddy Express 1.18.2 (via Apple App Store) 
* Plex 0.9.3.4 
* Hulu Desktop 0.9.10 
* EyeTV 3.5.3

Running Plex, I launch Hulu Desktop (via Applications; I am NOT running the Hulu Plugin for Plex).

When Hulu Desktop loads, it's full screen, but the remote will not control it. When I click on the screen with my mouse (actually, trackpad), it appears that Hulu Desktop now has focus, and the remote does then work as expected.

I have tried "Bring to front" with no positive results; only a mouse click seems to make Hulu Desktop active.

I had considered that EyeTV may have been interfering, but it's not running, other than it will launch to record scheduled programs. The symptoms with Hulu Desktop not being controlled until a mouse click occur when EyeTV isn't running.

What I'm expecting (but not getting): the ability to control Hulu Desktop with my remote upon launch.

I know Remote Buddy isn't the problem; however, I'm hoping Remote Buddy is the solution. Any help would be appreciated. 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - EyeTV Receiver
User

14.10.2011 17:16:01
Re: Remote doesn't control Hulu Desktop until a make it active window with mouse click
View

Thanks for asking.

I recall that other users have run into the same problem in the past - and successfully fixed it by installing the latest version of Flash.

Hope that helps.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

18.08.2012 06:05:11
Re: Remote doesn't control Hulu Desktop until a make it active window with mouse click
View

Hi Felix,

Exact same issue here.

- Clean install of OS 10.8.0 (Monutain Lion) 
- Remote Buddy 1.21.1 
- Hulu Desktop 0.9.10 
- Flash 11.3.300.271 
- Mac mini (2011)

So, the latest version of everything. I was having the same issue in 10.7.4 (Lion) prior to the clean ML install. Now, it *did* work at some point in the past on that system, but I am not sure whether a Flash, RemoteBuddy, Calendair, OS X, etc. update broke it. On a (seemingly) related note, Hulu Desktop doesn't hide the mouse cursor on startup.

Any chance RB can work around these issues? Thanks! 

User

13.12.2012 11:08:14
View

Having this problem with Remote Buddy and Hulu desktop since upgrading to Mountain Lion on my Mac Mini. All software is up to date, including Flash. If Remote Buddy is running, upon opening Hulu Desktop the Apple remote will not control Hulu Desktop until I use a mouse to click an item...then the remote begins working. If I quit Remote Buddy then everything works correctly with the Apple Remote upon opening Hulu Desktop. Any suggestions for a fix? I never had a problem like this with Lion but needed to upgrade for other reasons. 
User

27.12.2012 01:17:30
View

Also having this issue. New mini, osx 10.8.2, everything 100 percent up to date.

My workaround for now was to go into RB settings, mappings, the under the Hulu desktop behavior set an unused remote key to emulate virtual mouse left click. I chose "Select (held)" and assigned it to virtual mouse, left double click. Single click wasn't always working for some reason.

Not a solution per se but a work around that doesn't require physical keyboard or mouse to be involved. Once Hulu loads up I press and hold the select key on my remote for about 2 seconds and after the left clicks are emulated all is well. 

User

27.12.2012 07:57:20
View

Here's another workaround that might be useful to others having this problem. I changed my command that activates the Hulu Desktop behavior to an applescript that: 
- activates Hulu Desktop 
- moves the mouse to the center of the screen 
- clicks down 
- clicks up

This lets Hulu launch and be in a state that's ready to accept remote commands.

The applescript is below. So far it's worked perfectly for me, but I'm not sure if any of the commands require additional software I already had installed on my Mini. If you're running a machine slower than my 2011 2.5 Mini you may need to increase the delay. Shorter delays than 5 sec didn't allow enough time on my Mini for Hulu to complete it's startup sequence.

tell application "Hulu Desktop" to activate 
delay 5 
tell application "System Events" 
-- put the mouse at the center of the screen 
do shell script "python -c 'from Quartz import *; CGEventPost(kCGHIDEventTap, CGEventCreateMouseEvent(None, kCGEventMouseMoved, CGPointMake(960,540), kCGMouseButtonLeft))'" 
-- click down 
do shell script "python -c 'from Quartz import *; CGEventPost(kCGHIDEventTap, CGEventCreateMouseEvent(None, kCGEventLeftMouseDown, CGPointMake(960,540), kCGMouseButtonLeft))'" 
-- click up 
do shell script "python -c 'from Quartz import *; CGEventPost(kCGHIDEventTap, CGEventCreateMouseEvent(None, kCGEventLeftMouseUp, CGPointMake(960,540), kCGMouseButtonLeft))'" 
end tell 

User

19.03.2013 03:51:48
View

Just downloaded Remote Buddy trial (3/18/13) Updated candelier & Remote buddy. I was using Sofa Control until Mountain Lion disabled HuLu. Seems Remote buddy has the same problem. The previous poster listed a script which I tried in Sofa Control to no avail. Not being at all familiar with Remote Buddy I don't know where to put the aforementioned script. I have read thru the manual, but couldn't see where or how to insert it. 
Could anyone give me some newbie type directions? 
Thanks, 
Bill