Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

17.10.2011 12:49:40
After 10.7.2 no apple remote on XBMC or plex
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I've updated lion to 10.7.2 and after this my apple remote doesn't work on XBMC. 
I have remote buddy and when i press the menu button i can choose, using the apple remote, a program to run... but if i run xbmc (or plex) i can't do anything... i tried running eyetv and the remote works perfectly... how can fix this issue? 
I tried unistalling candelair, trying without candelair, then reistalling candelair.... but no chance...

Thanks for the help 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - EyeTV Receiver
User

17.10.2011 15:41:01
Re: After 10.7.2 no apple remote on XBMC or plex
View

Thanks for asking.

Both Remote Buddy as well as XBMC's/Plex' own Apple Remote helper communicate with XBMC/Plex via UDP network packets.

If XBMC/Plex doesn't react to your button presses, please check your firewall settings and any firewall software (like, f.ex. Little Snitch) that you have installed for settings that could prevent XBMC/Plex from accepting incoming UDP packets.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

17.10.2011 16:33:16
View

Thanks for the reply, but i tried to disable little snitch and nothing changed... anyway the only thing that is changed in the last week is the update to lion 10.7.2, before that my apple remote was perfectly functioning...

User

18.10.2011 13:30:50
View

I want to update this issue reporting that trying to use my apple remote on a macbookpro Lion 10.7.2 without remotebuddy, it works perfectly with XBMC... i think that the problem is in remotebuddy... can you help me to fix it? 
User

18.10.2011 14:43:33
View

I update this post one more time: i've tried to shutdown remotebuddy and run XBMC: it works perfectly using apple remote... but in this way i can't use remotebuddy.... i think that a patch is necessary, don't you think? 
Thanks for any help you'll give me. 
User

18.10.2011 21:50:01
View

I can use Remote Buddy 1.18.2 (latest version, default settings, using the included Plex Behaviour), Plex 0.9.3.4 (latest version, default settings), OS X 10.7.2 (latest version) and the Apple Remote without any issues. I'm not using Little Snitch.

Since nobody else has brought any such issue to my attention either, I'm afraid there's nothing for me to fix.

As I mentioned before, Remote Buddy sends UDP packets to control Plex and XBMC. If these UDP packets are blocked, control no longer works.

Since Little Snitch is pretty much the only software I can think of blocking local UDP traffic on OS X - and you have it installed (and you're experiencing this issue) - and I (who doesn't have Little Snitch installed) do not experience the issue, I think it's highly likely that Little Snitch and/or your individual Little Snitch configuration is the cause of your issue.

Since I can't provide support for Little Snitch and also have never used it personally, the only advice I could give you is to back up your LS settings, then completely remove LS - and reboot. Given the info you've provided me with, this should solve your issue. For individual support for LS - including debugging its configuration, please turn to the company making it - Objective Development.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

18.10.2011 23:34:41
View

Ok, il try unistalling Littlesnitch and i'll make you know if it works, but: 
1) Remotebuddy uses udp packet only for plex and xbmc? Because with eyetv it works... 
2) My configuration of LS is the same of 1 week ago... the only thing changed meanwhile is the version of lion... 
I ask this because i'd like not to make a useless uninstallation of LS. 
Thanks anyway for the help, i understand that is hard to diagnostic an issue that only i have... but is a strange issue...

I'll update this post after my test 

User

19.10.2011 10:14:02
View

1) Remotebuddy uses udp packet only for plex and xbmc? Because with eyetv it works…

Yes, UDP is only used with XBMC and XBMC forks like Plex and Boxee, because - these, being cross-platform ports - use UDP as their means of communication.

EyeTV is controlled via emulated keystrokes, AppleScript and other OS X IPC mechanisms. 

User

23.10.2011 21:41:55
View

I'm sorry to say that i tried to uninstall LittleSnitch, rebooted my system, but the apple remote still doesn't work with plex and xbmc. 
I don't know how to fix.

Can you help me? 

User

30.10.2011 18:30:50
View

Nothing? Could be that exists a way to debug remote buddy and to find what is blocking it? As i said i unistalled little snitch and i have not any other firewall activated... how is it possible?

User

05.03.2012 23:20:25
View

Hi.

I was testing the demo version of remote buddy ajax remote (iPhone) and found the same problem. XBMC doesn´t work while other software does.

I tryed wii mote with the same result, everything worked but XBMC.. until I found a setup option in system "allow other software to control XBMC" and voila!! everything works flawlessly.

Hope this helps ;-) 
(PD: this is my first post, i´ve just register to contribute, i don´t know if you have allready found that option)