Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

29.11.2011 10:23:08
Candelair interferes with Firecore's MiRow Front Row plugin
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
MiRow (http://firecore.com/mirow) is a plugin for OS X's Front Row. MiRow adds a bunch of features to Front Row including a web browser which allows you to access Hulu and Netflix from Front Row, using the Apple Remote.

To navigate the MiRow browser using the Apple Remote, you have to toggle between scroll mode and "mouse" mode. Mouse mode allows you to move the cursor around the screen (like you're using a mouse) using the Apple Remote. Holding the play/pause button activates and deactivates mouse mode in MiRow. Candelair seems to prevent this switch from occurring so you're always stuck in scroll and click mode. You can never get into mouse mode as long as Candelair is enabled.

Any chance this could be fixed? 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

29.11.2011 11:56:01
Re: Candelair interferes with Firecore's MiRow Front Row plugin
View

Candelair already sends correct HID events - including for the case where the Play/Pause button is held. All applications using well crafted Apple Remote code (including OS X) will receive them correctly.

There's one detail worth knowing about Candelair's Legacy Mode, though: 
If you've enabled Candelair's Legacy Mode, you tell Candelair to behave like the OS X Leopard version of Apple's IR Controller driver (so that some old applications using Martin Kahr's broken Apple Remote code can still be used despite their unnecessary dependency on driver internals) - which includes the detail that OS X Leopard has no support for the "Play/Pause" button of the Aluminum Apple Remote. On OS X Leopard, the "Play/Pause" button of the Apple Remote is reported as "Select" button.

So, if you're using Candelair's Legacy Mode and an Aluminum Apple Remote, I recommend turning off Legacy Mode.

If you don't have Legacy Mode enabled, as their customer, please ask FireCore to look into the issue. Since Candelair creates and posts the exactly same events as Apple's own driver, I can't see any on Candelair's side. MiRow, on the other hand, is only possible by using lots and lots of private, undocumented APIs (Front Row has no official or publicly documented plugin support). FireCore is welcome to contact me with any technical questions regarding Candelair that they come up with while looking into the issue.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

29.11.2011 23:29:23
View

Felix,

Thanks for replying.

I actually posted this problem first in firecore's forums but never received a reply, so I then posted here.

I thought the "Legacy mode" was essential for computer running Snow Leopard because some Apple Remote/Front Row bugs appeared in Snow Leopard and were never fixed.

I've got one of the older white plastic Apple remotes and I'm wondering if something else is interfering with my remote. Rowmote works perfectly: scrolling is fast and clicking is responsive. With the plastic Apple Remote, I have to press slowly and deliberately and the remote will no longer scroll quickly through menu if I hold down the Up/Down buttons. I have to repeatedly click to get through long lists and it takes forever.

This problem, which started recently, occurs in XBMC, Plex, and Front Row, but only with the Apple Remote, not with Rowmote on my iPhone. 

User

30.11.2011 19:05:01
View

Candelair generally fixes an issue with exclusive locking in Snow Leopard 10.6 and 10.6.1. Apple fixed this issue themselves in 10.6.2.

The Legacy Mode is not related to this issue. It really is only there so you can continue to run old, unsupported software that uses Martin Kahr's driver internals dependent Apple Remote code, which has been broken once again by the new OS X Apple Remote driver in 10.6.2.

Today, however, pretty much every serious, supported application (including XBMC, Plex, Boxee, EyeTV, ..) using the Apple Remote uses my HIDRemote class - which doesn't have any such driver dependencies and therefore also doesn't need the Apple Remote driver to emulate the internals of old driver versions from previous OS versions.

Given your description, your problem probably is a battery that's about to run empty. In that case, the Apple Remote starts sending extra IR codes with every button press, which may explain your issues. Normally, OS X (or Remote Buddy) will inform you about a low battery. Since that battery warning, however, is also sent as a HID event, that HID event is only received by the application that currently uses the Apple Remote (and there usually can only be one at a time) and most applications don't implement any warning when receiving a low battery HID event, chances are you'll never see any warning come up.

My recommendation: try with a new battery.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz

P.S.: RowMote, just like Remote Buddy's AJAX Remote, uses Wi-Fi as its communication channel, which is far more reliable in transmitting information than the IR technology the Apple Remote uses. 

User

30.11.2011 20:42:47
View

After I read this I thought, "No way. It's a new battery, only a month old." Well, you were right. It was indeed the battery even though it was recently installed. It must've been stale-dated on the store shelf.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions. It's much appreciated.