Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

05.12.2011 15:13:13
Remote Buddy, OSX Lion and BD Remote
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Sigh

Well I am here again, still not happy with my remote solution using Remote Buddy in combination with OSX and BD Remote, and am ready to give up. I don't know where the fault lies, Apple Bluetooth, IOSPIRIT or the DB Remote.

Since OSX Lion, Bluetooth has been a NIGHTMARE. Even my BT Keyboard and BT Mouse Pad (both apple products) are having problems. The problem is that often (but not always) when the mac has been idle for some time, the bluetooth devices will no longer be recognised by the mac, even if I wake the mac with a wired (usb) keyboard and power cycle the bluetooth devices and even change batteries.

I have to use the usb keyboard to open bluetooth preferences, turn bluetooth OFF and then turn it back ON. A feat in itself without a mouse.

At that point, the BT keyboard and mouse will reconnect and I can use them. The BD Remote however WONT reconnect. OSX will prompt for a PIN for it (which never works).

To get the BD Remote working I have to shut down Remove Buddy, restart it, go to setup wizard and re-pair the BD remove with Remote Buddy.

Then and only then can I use the remote.

For a remote control solution, you can appreciate this is less than ideal (it takes 5 - 10 minutes to get remote working each time I come to use it).

I have wondered, do I need the Candelair driver installed? Will remote buddy work without it? Is it interfering with OSX's bluetooth stack and messing things up?

Is OSX bluetooth just rubbish? (it certainly doesn't just work like its supposed to).

Is there anything I can do to debug what is going on?

What is the best remote solution using Remote Buddy and OSX Lion that will provide the same level of control that BD remote does?

Thanks for listening and any advice given. 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Driver
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - Harmony® Smart Control
Hardware - Sony® BD Remote Control
Hardware - Wii™ Remote
User

05.12.2011 22:54:39
Re: Remote Buddy, OSX Lion and BD Remote
View

I'm having the exact same problem as you with the PS 3 BD Remote. I've been waiting a couple of weeks now to get an update from Iosprit or Apple but nothing. Any news about this problem? Any workaround? Who is to blame?

I haven't been able to use the remote or remote buddy at all since 10.7.2. I can get the remote going with remote buddy but it takes about 5 minutes so unusable.

Please give some more information or at least an update? 

User

06.12.2011 12:01:01
View

Thanks for your feedback.

Rest assured this issue is bothering me as well - and immensely so. If there was any way for me to address it, I would.

Since, however, this issue is located directly in Apple's Bluetooth stack at a _very_ low level where third-party applications like Remote Buddy have NO way of correcting or working around the problem (they don't even have any way of knowing whether a BT device tries to connect at this point!), I can't fix the problem. As I said before, only Apple can fix it. Only Apple.

Here's what happens when you press a button on your BD Remote:

1) BD Remote: asks your Mac's Bluetooth controller (and thus the OS X Bluetooth stack) to establish a baseband connection 
2) OS X BT stack: verifies whether the device is allowed to establish a connection, performs cryptographic authentication if it decides that this is needed (and prompts you for a PIN code as part of that) 
3) OS X BT stack: establishes baseband connection with the BD Remote 
4) OS X BT stack: creates Bluetooth device's IOKit object 
5) OS X BT stack: sends notifications about the device connecting to third-party applications 
6) OS X Kernel: starts IOKit matching for the Bluetooth device 
7) Remote Buddy: receives the notification and registers with the OS X Kernel to get notified about new HID devices that become available on the system 
8) OS X Kernel: matches and starts an instance of IOBluetoothHIDDriver (which belongs to the BT stack) 
9) OS X Kernel: sends notification to applications who registered to get notified about new HID devices 
10) Remote Buddy: receives notification, checks whether the HID device belongs to the remote and starts listening to button presses

The issue occurs at step 2. Here the BT stack incorrectly decides that the BD Remote requires authentication and prompts you for a PIN code. Which, as we all know, is not needed - and not even supported by the BD Remote.

And that's where it already ends. Since PIN authentication of a device that doesn't support PIN authentication fails, things don't even proceed to step 3.

The earliest point where regular applications (like Remote Buddy) can hook into the process: they can't. This is generally not supported by the OS X Bluetooth stack. They have to deal with what's available after step 8.

The earliest point where kernel-level drivers (like Remote Buddy's Candelair) can hook into the process: at step 6. And only by offering an alternative driver and thereby preventing an instance of IOBluetoothHIDDriver from getting matched and started in step 7. Since Remote Buddy's support for the BD Remote, however, relies on OS X' own IOBluetoothHIDDriver, Candelair is not doing this. The OS X Bluetooth stack is used by Remote Buddy as-is.

-- So what can I do? --

1) Collect as much information about this issue as possible from users.

I did that.

2) File a bug report with Apple, relaying the collected information as well as my detailed analysis of the issue.

I did that.

3) Email Apple's Developer Technical Support (for which Apple charges a fee) to highlight the importance of a fix for this issue and possibly move it up on the priority list of Apple's Bluetooth team.

I did that.

4) Test with pre-release versions of OS X. Update Apple on the results via the lines of communications already used in step 2 and 3.

I did that.

5) Be transparent. Add a short explanation to the BD Remote's entry in the hardware compatibility list. To inform existing as well as prospective new users about the fact that there currently is an issue within OS X 10.7.2 that needs to be fixed by Apple. And that the BD Remote may not be working as it should until Apple eventually does address the issue.

I did that.

6) Explain the issue at length and in great detail. Sharing my view.

I'm doing this with this reply.

-- What can you do? --

File a bug report with Apple via http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html and include the Apple bug report number for this issue (which is also available on the hardware section of Remote Buddy's website): rdar://10332794

-- Regarding providing information updates: --

1) The situation didn't change: 
a) 10.7.2 is still the latest version of OS X Lion available to the general public 
b) the bug in its Bluetooth stack still exists 
c) Remote Buddy still has no influence on the issue (and never will) 
d) Remote Buddy still can neither address nor work around the issue (and never will) 
e) I still have no position at Apple - and therefore still am not in the position to tell Apple's developers what to do with their time - including addressing this issue 
f) I'm still doing all I can to get Apple's attention for this issue - including paying for it (via DTS). That, unfortunately, is still all I can do.

2) Regarding my communication with Apple: as we all know, Apple loves secrecy: 
a) Apple doesn't pre-announce bug fixes 
b) the contents of the communication via Apple's bug reporter website is confidential. 
c) the contents of the communication via Apple's Developer Technical Support is confidential. 
d) access to OS X pre-releases is only granted under NDA. I'm not allowed to talk about it.

3) I'll update the notice on the Remote Buddy hardware page with new information as it becomes available (and I'm legally allowed to share it).

-- Closing notes --

I'm as unsatisfied with the situation as everyone else. But due to the nature of the issue, I can't do anything about it other than to try to get Apple's attention for it. Which I do intensely - and at increasing expense.

And, on a general note (not necessarily related to the preceding posts):

Blaming Remote Buddy or Candelair for what they are not responsible for - and asking me to fix what I can't fix (the OS X Bluetooth stack), no matter how much I'd like to, is neither helpful nor will it expedite a fix. All that does is increase my own frustration regarding this issue. I'm extremely tired of repeatedly having to justify for bugs that aren't mine and defend my work, which isn't responsible for this issue. Those who have followed along Remote Buddy's development over the past 5.5 years know that I've never shied away from investing a lot of time (and money) when I saw a chance that it could improve the product or work around an OS X issue. Candelair is the result of one such effort.

If you want to make a difference and help increase Apple's awareness for the issue, file a bug report with Apple and include the bug report number for this issue (rdar://10332794) - as suggested above.

Thanks for your time and attention.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

06.12.2011 12:18:01
View

Since OSX Lion, Bluetooth has been a NIGHTMARE. Even my BT Keyboard and BT Mouse Pad (both apple products) are having problems.

You're not alone with this issue. If I remember correctly, that issue even made it to the headlines of many Apple-centric news sites.

I have wondered, do I need the Candelair driver installed?

Technically, it's only required when you use a Wii Remote.

Will remote buddy work without it? Is it interfering with OSX's bluetooth stack and messing things up?

Remote Buddy's Bluetooth support - for historic reasons - requires Candelair to be installed. It doesn't get used at all when used with a Sony BD Remote, though.

And no, it is not interfering with OS X Bluetooth stack and messing things up. It's also can't cause this issue.

During initial pairing, the BD Remote enters a special pairing mode and the Mac makes a connection to the BD Remote. In normal operation, it's the other way round: the BD Remote makes a connection to the Mac.

After pairing, the BD Remote is entirely operated by OS X itself and Remote Buddy's part is limited to listening to incoming events. Therefore, you can, after pairing, remove Candelair and Remote Buddy and then try to have the BD Remote establish a connection. As you'll notice, however, nothing will change about the issue, since neither Candelair nor Remote Buddy are involved in it at all. Please see my just sent, previous reply on this thread for details.

Is OSX bluetooth just rubbish? (it certainly doesn't just work like its supposed to).

Apple must have made big changes to the Bluetooth stack when they added support for Bluetooth 4.0. In such a large project, bugs - however unfortunate that is - do happen.

Is there anything I can do to debug what is going on?

Don't waste your time. The location of the problem is already known. It's a bug in the OS X Bluetooth stack - and, just like me, you can't do anything else than file a bugreport with Apple and hope for them to fix it in the near future.

What is the best remote solution using Remote Buddy and OSX Lion that will provide the same level of control that BD remote does?

If with "same level of control", you mean the number of buttons: the BD Remote is the only supported remote with that many buttons.

Other than that, my personal favorite is the Apple Remote and the Apple iPhone/iPod Touch (via the free AJAX Remote app).

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

06.12.2011 12:23:01
Re: Re: Remote Buddy, OSX Lion and BD Remote
View

Any news about this problem? Any workaround? Who is to blame?

Unfortunately nothing changed - and my communication with Apple on the issue is confidential (for more details, see my just posted, previous, long response).

I haven't been able to use the remote or remote buddy at all since 10.7.2. I can get the remote going with remote buddy but it takes about 5 minutes so unusable.

I'm sorry to hear that.

But since this is an issue in the OS X Bluetooth stack itself, I can't fix it - or work around it. Only Apple can.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

06.12.2011 18:15:01
View

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Felix 
wrote:

If you want to make a difference and help increase Apple's awareness for the issue, file a bug report with Apple and include the bug report number for this issue (rdar://10332794)  - as suggested above.

Done. Just filed 1 more seperate bug report against 10.7.2 referencing 
your main radar bug. A few kind words of encouragement sent to the 
Apple developers. Quite often, phrasing an innocent question that 
appeals to their curiosity is the best kind of an input we can provide 
to them.

And filing many duplicate looking reports of course :)

Thanks for your time and attention.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz

[standard mail footer removed]

User

06.12.2011 22:39:24
View

Blaming Remote Buddy or Candelair for what they are not responsible for - and asking me to fix what I can't fix (the OS X Bluetooth stack), no matter how much I'd like to, is neither helpful nor will it expedite a fix.

I don't think anyone in this thread (myself included) at any point blamed either Remote Buddy or Canelair nor asked you fix the bluetooth stack. Perhaps you are referring to other communication outside of this thread.

That aside, thanks for the explanation of the problem. So its re-authentication of the remote after pairing and subsequent reconnection that is the issue if I understood your explanation correctly. It seems that, given all you have tried, seeking an alternative remote solution (one that works with remote buddy and isn't bluetooth) might be the way forward in that case.

Last edited: 06.12.2011 22:43:58 

User

07.12.2011 12:33:01
View

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 9:39 PM, Austin 
wrote:

It seems that, given all you have tried, seeking an alternative remote solution (one that works with remote buddy and isn't bluetooth) might be the way forward in that case.

A fair point given the limitations of Sony's PS3 Remote. It has enough 
buttons but the bluetooth wakeup time is slow, and being bluetooth the 
battery life is inevitably shorter than a not-bluetooth RF-based 
remote.

However as Felix has already pointed out its quite hard to find a 
popular remote with that many buttons. Perhaps one other suitable 
remote I can imagine would be the Boxee Remote with full QUERTY 
keyboard. It is advertised as being compatible with both PC and Mac, 
and is available on Amazon (US) for $40. Not Bluetooth, it has a 
proprietary micro sized USB receiver so the battery life should be 
considerably longer than PS3 Remote, and no wakeup delays.

Here are some links about the Boxee Remote:

http://support.boxee.tv/entries/173414-the-boxee-remote

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DSM-22-Boxee-Remote/dp/B00480OSVK

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=104975

User

08.12.2011 11:36:32
View

Now that looks interesting, especially as I am primarily using BD+RB to control XBMC

Which got me thinking, perhaps I am coming at this from completely the wrong angle. I use remote buddy to control XBMC because it supported the BD remote (and worked on Snow Leopard - of sorts). Also, XBMC was a younger product when I started out building my HTPC.

So attacking the problem from the other side, why don't I look for an XBMC remote solution that works with Mac.

I found this:

http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/products/96-motorola-nyxboard-hybrid.aspx#overview

Designed for XBMC, works with Mac, includes querty keyboard.

Humm where's the catch? Sounds too good to be true.

Last edited: 08.12.2011 11:50:52 

User

20.01.2012 17:15:20
View

Interestingly and mysteriously, my BD remote + Remote Buddy + OS X Lion has started behaving. I can come back to it after several days of idleness, press a button on the remote, and remote buddy or XBMC (depending what has focus and which button I press) kicks immediately into life! It has been this way for a week or two now.

I don't remember there being any updates, but perhaps I just forgot I applied some updates. Did apple fix this issue recently or was remote buddy updated?

Bit of a mystery (to me) why its started behaving.

Ofc my batteries die fairly quickly in the BD remote, as ever, but as I use regargables and have a trickle charger so ive always got fresh batteries available thats not a big deal.

Only thing I did do about a week ago was unpair my apple bt keyboard from this macmini, because I needed to use it on my macbook having just broken its keyboard. Not sure if the two are related.

Last edited: 20.01.2012 17:17:02 

User

24.01.2012 18:07:30
View

Still working 100% perfectly with this setup (same batteries too). I press a button on BD remote and it is instantly recognised, and then the key press is responded to.

Something must have changed in OS X to make it work. How can I tell what updates I have had?

About this Mac says 10.7.2 
Remote Buddy is 1.19.2 

User

24.01.2012 22:41:01
View

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Austin 
wrote:

Still working 100% perfectly with this setup (same batteries too).  I press a button on BD remote and it is instantly recognised, and then the key press is responded to.

Something must have changed in OS X to make it work.  How can I tell what updates I have had?

Perhaps you could also mention the Mac hardware model, so we can fund 
out what was the bluetooth chipset. As for updates: It might agree 
with other reports if your problem disappeared after 10.7.2 update. 
But only if you had a newer Mac model with the newest Bluetooth 3.0 
chipset. Such as the Mac Mini 2011 for example.

About this Mac says 10.7.2 
Remote Buddy is 1.19.2

User

27.01.2012 10:21:40
View

Perhaps you could also mention the Mac hardware model, so we can fund 
out what was the bluetooth chipset. As for updates: It might agree 
with other reports if your problem disappeared after 10.7.2 update. 
But only if you had a newer Mac model with the newest Bluetooth 3.0 
chipset. Such as the Mac Mini 2011 for example.

Model Name: Mac mini 
Model Identifier: Macmini3,1

Apple Bluetooth Software Version: 4.0.1f4 
Hardware Settings: 
Address: 00-26-08-eb-30-a0 
Manufacturer: Broadcom 
Name: Mac mini 
Firmware Version: v180 c367 
Bluetooth Power: On 
Discoverable: Yes 
Vendor ID: 0x5ac 
Product ID: 0x8216 
HCI Version: 4 (0x4) 
HCI Revision: 367 (0x16f) 
LMP Version: 4 (0x4) 
LMP Subversion: 8628 (0x21b4) 
Device Type (Major): Computer 
Device Type (Complete): Mac Desktop 
Composite Class Of Device: 3801348 (0x3a0104) 
Device Class (Major): 1 (0x1) 
Device Class (Minor): 1 (0x1) 
Service Class: 464 (0x1d0)

Last edited: 27.01.2012 10:22:37 

User

02.02.2012 00:36:43
View

I just installed 10.7.3 and I'm very very happy to report that this OS update seems to fix this problem. My BD remote connected in a second and has worked since then. Finally I can use my BD remote, XBMC and remote buddy again :) Happy camper! 
User

02.02.2012 08:47:02
View

Daniel,

Like the others, could you please post (perhaps again) the specs of 
your Apple hardware? It would be helpful to know which older model(s) 
of Mac hardware this update has resolved the problem for. Many thanks.

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 11:36 PM, Daniel5 
wrote:

I just installed 10.7.3 and I'm very very happy to report that this OS update seems to fix this problem. My BD remote connected in a second and has worked since then. Finally I can use my BD remote, XBMC and remote buddy again :) Happy camper!

User

02.02.2012 09:49:02
View

Thanks for sharing.

I carried out a lot of tests with many Mac models of different generations (2006-2011) using pre-release builds of 10.7.3 and came to the result that Apple has addressed the issue with this update. I didn't have a chance to test with the final 10.7.3 build, though.

However, I've also received confirmation from Apple that they've addressed this particular Bluetooth issue with 10.7.3.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

27.02.2012 06:09:41
View

I don't seem to be as lucky as the rest of everybody. My PS3 BD Remote worked fine UNTIL the Apple Bluetooth stack update came out, at which time, it would no longer connect, I unpaired the device, and tried to pair it again, and it is now asking for a passcode. Any ideas? 
User

27.02.2012 06:13:41
View

Model Name: iMac 
Model Identifier: iMac11,1 
Processor Name: Intel Core i5 
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz 
Number of Processors: 1 
Total Number of Cores: 4 
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB 
L3 Cache: 8 MB 
Memory: 12 GB 
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s 
Boot ROM Version: IM111.0034.B02 
SMC Version (system): 1.54f36 
Serial Number (system): W80152CT5PJ 
Hardware UUID: 4A6E07D9-6CFF-5687-A934-B146F02C1046

Apple Bluetooth Software Version: 4.0.3f12 
Hardware Settings: 
Address: 7C-6D-62-97-94-33 
Manufacturer: Broadcom 
Name: BoschMac 
Firmware Version: v182 c374 
Bluetooth Power: On 
Discoverable: Yes 
Vendor ID: 0x5ac 
Product ID: 0x8215 
HCI Version: 4 (0x4) 
HCI Revision: 374 (0x176) 
LMP Version: 4 (0x4) 
LMP Subversion: 8630 (0x21b6) 
Device Type (Major): Computer 
Device Type (Complete): Mac Desktop 
Composite Class Of Device: 3801348 (0x3a0104) 
Device Class (Major): 1 (0x1) 
Device Class (Minor): 1 (0x1) 
Service Class: 464 (0x1d0)

Any other information needed? Please ask.

User

27.02.2012 13:09:01
View

Thanks for asking.

Apple addressed the authentication bug in the code of their Bluetooth stack in 10.7.3.

Another problem that exists since at least 10.4 (where I saw it for the first time) probably remains, though, but is easy to solve. I've described both issue and solution here: 
http://www.iospirit.com/support/forums/remotebuddy/singlethread/15428/

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

28.02.2012 06:11:05
View

Felix, thanks for your reply, but I deleted both the cache and the preferences for com.apple.Bluetooth per your suggestion, and still no joy. I cleared these files from both the /Library/Preferences and ~/Library/Preferences and both caches as well. Maybe I missed something, but I don't think I did. I'll take another look 
User

03.03.2012 03:53:29
View

I like the wii remote ... 
User

01.04.2012 19:43:14
View

Just for information: I had some issues too with Wiimote controller, latest versions of Remote Buddy and 10.7.x. But when I switched to pre-Candelair Remote Buddy version (1.16.6) all bluetooth connection issues are gone. Hmm? 
User

11.05.2012 05:16:20
View

I'm still having these problems in 10.7.4 and I'm fairly sure it is not the other problem as its proposed solution did not help the matter at all.

Any ideas? 

User

12.05.2012 15:19:02
View

Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately, the bug that already plagued users of 10.7.2 and was fixed in 10.7.3 makes a re-appearance in 10.7.4, although in a slightly different manner. These are the results of my tests so far:

- Sony PS3 BD remotes set up under 10.7.3 appear to continue to work correctly 
- "new" Sony PS3 BD remotes either 
a) can't be set up at all under 10.7.4 due to the re-appearance of the PIN request bug in the OS X Bluetooth stack 
b) or, due to the same bug in the OS X Bluetooth stack, OS X brings up the PIN request dialog when the remote tries to re-establish a connection via Bluetooth.

I've filed a new bug report with Apple and have updated the hardware page accordingly.

Since this is a general bug in the OS X Bluetooth stack itself, it can only be addressed by Apple themselves. Remote Buddy does not cause this issue and - since the bug is situated at a very low level inside the OS X Bluetooth stack itself - also has no way of working around it.

Since I have no insight in or influence on Apple's development team, I can't provide any information as to whether or when Apple intends to again address this bug. Therefore, please contact Apple if you have questions regarding the availability or timing of a fix for this bug.

Or, if you'd like to increase chances that Apple prioritizes a fix for this bug, file a bugreport (at http://bugreport.apple.com/) regarding the issue and "duplicate" the bug I filed in it (radr://11440611) by referencing it in your bug report.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

13.05.2012 13:24:02
View

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 2:19 PM, Felix 
wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately, the bug that already plagued users of 10.7.2 and was fixed in 10.7.3 makes a re-appearance in 10.7.4, although in a slightly different manner. These are the results of my tests so far:

- Sony PS3 BD remotes set up under 10.7.3 appear to continue to work correctly 
- "new" Sony PS3 BD remotes either 
a) can't be set up at all under 10.7.4 due to the re-appearance of the PIN request bug in the OS X Bluetooth stack 
b) or, due to the same bug in the OS X Bluetooth stack, OS X brings up the PIN request dialog when the remote tries to re-establish a connection via Bluetooth.

I've filed a new bug report with Apple and have updated the hardware page accordingly.

Since this is a general bug in the OS X Bluetooth stack itself, it can only be addressed by Apple themselves. Remote Buddy does not cause this issue and - since the bug is situated at a very low level inside the OS X Bluetooth stack itself - also has no way of working around it.

Since I have no insight in or influence on Apple's development team, I can't provide any information as to whether or when Apple intends to again address this bug. Therefore, please contact Apple if you have questions regarding the availability or timing of a fix for this bug.

Or, if you'd like to increase chances that Apple prioritizes a fix for this bug, file a bugreport (at http://bugreport.apple.com/) regarding the issue and "duplicate" the bug I filed in it (radr://11440611) by referencing it in your bug report.

Done. I have filed my duplicate. Its Bug Id# 11441751.

May I suggest for anyone who is really stuck. Try and get a copy of 
the previous 10.7.3 Bluetooth stack. It might still work in 10.7.4. 
Warning: replacing OS daemons carries an unknown risk. It would be 
best to backup and / or ensure you a have recovery disk before 
considering that.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz

User

20.05.2012 03:00:52
View

Just bought a SMK-Link BT remote (model VP3700) today. I'm using it with my 2010 Mac Pro 6-core system running Lion 10.7.4. After setting up the remote using Remote Buddy pairing, I ran into the bluetooth pairing password bug issue.

After experimenting with the issue, I think I may have found a workaround for the bug.

Not sure if it will work for you, but here is what I did:

1. Remove the paired remote from Remote Buddy. 
2. Open System Preferences and goto Bluetooth. 
3. My device still appeared in the list as "BD Remote Control". 
4. I highlighted the device and clicked the "-" sign to remove the device. 
5. Click on the "+" sign to launch the bluetooth setup assistant 
6. Select the remote once it appears in the list. 
7. The assistant attempts to pair the remote, but it fails to pair with the remote. However the fail dialog provides a "Passcode Options" button... Click it. 
8. A new dialog opens and the last option in the list is "Do not use passcode with this device". Select that option and click Ok. 
9. Return to Remote Buddy and pair the remote in remote buddy

Granted I've only had the remote for about 12 hours now, but I haven't received the pairing password dialog since I followed those steps.

Last edited: 20.05.2012 03:12:36