Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

04.01.2012 01:44:47
Multiple Apple Remote configuration with Harmony One
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hello Felix, 
First let me say that I love this program! I have found what I believe to be a slight discontinuity in using multiple remotes. I've mapped a Harmony One to a Plex Media Player so that I can configure Remote Buddy to accept more functions via multiple remote mappings. Works very well, with only one exception. I have globally mapped "hard wired" one of the multiple remotes to bring up the Remote Buddy menu when pressing the down button. This will bring up the menu but pressing the same button doesn't respond the same way once the menu is the active behavior. In fact the down button responds as the directional down button which is a bit frustrating when you can't exit the menu unless you select something. I will post my configuration files once I get home but it appears to me that the global mapping isn't holding up within the menu setting. 
Thank You for such a great solution for a Mac HTPC! 
James

Here is a link to my files 
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3749145/com.iospirit.zip

Last edited: 04.01.2012 04:15:44 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - Harmony® Smart Control
User

05.01.2012 14:46:01
Re: Multiple Apple Remote configuration with Harmony One
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Thanks for asking.

Once you open the menu, Remote Buddy switches to menu navigation mode, where only up/down/left/right/select/menu buttons have an effect - with the menu button hardwired to dismiss the menu.

My first reaction after reading your post would be that it'd be easy to solve - Remote Buddy would just remember the last button pressed to enter the menu and also exit the menu when it's pressed again. It's just this won't work here:

Remote Buddy currently has no support for the Harmony Remote. The emulation of multiple remotes is an interesting use of that feature, but it comes with its own set of issues: 
1) Remote Buddy's support for multiple remotes is targeted at actual Apple Remotes. 
2) Problem: if you're using actual Apple Remotes and for whatever reason you decide you want to open the Remote Buddy menu with the "Up" button, you'll still want Remote Buddy to move up in the menu when you press the "Up" button. Making that button close the Remote Buddy menu as well would mean that users of an actual Apple Remote lose important navigation functionality inside the menu.

Therefore, I'm afraid I can't do anything about it at this time. Sorry.

The only workaround suggestion I can offer is to use a button on your Harmony Remote to open the Remote Budy menu that is also sending an actual "Menu" Apple Remote button code.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz