Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

09.01.2012 20:29:40
Wii Remote will not connect with my Mac Pro!
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hello,

i want to pair my new wii remote plus control with my mac pro 1.1 (built-in Bluetooth) on mac osx 10.7.2 but after the message "Pairing successful. Establishing connection …" it disconnect remote control automatically within 5 seconds again.

I get this message from my system log:

Jan 9 19:28:45 Schneewittchen blued[21]: addDeviceToHIDEmulationMode - unrecognized HID device; NOT storing the link keys to the module. 
Jan 9 19:28:45 Schneewittchen blued[21]: isCSR: 0 isBRCM: 0 
Jan 9 19:28:45 Schneewittchen blued[21]: major class: 5 minor class: 2 
Jan 9 19:28:45 Schneewittchen com.apple.launchd[1] (com.iospirit.candelair.sync): Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

Remote Buddy also the system Bluetooth device manager show me that wii remote control register but not connected.

I've tried with new belkin bluetooth adapter but get exact the same issue.

I want to buy this great app, but it will not connect properly with wii remote :(

Do you have any solution?

cu 
Alexander

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - Wii™ Remote
User

09.01.2012 23:49:01
Re: Wii Remote will not connect with my Mac Pro!
View

Thanks for asking.

The Bluetooth stack of OS X 10.7.2 ignores some timeout values that are of importance when pairing a Wii Remote. Most notably, and unlike in OS X 10.4-10.6, it takes a lot longer to stop a search for devices that are ready for pairing.

Therefore, it can happen that a Wii Remote quits pairing mode and goes back to sleep before Remote Buddy even gets any chance to pair with it. The solution in that case is to press buttons 1 and 2 again if the 4 LEDs on the Wii Remote stop blinking before the pairing completed.

Apart from that issue, the Bluetooth stack of OS X 10.7.2 is seriously buggy in general and is causing issues even for many users of Apple's own Magic Trackpad and Wireless Keyboard. If your issue is not related to OS X 10.7 ignoring aforementioned timeout, I recommend waiting for OS X 10.7.3 and try again. I can't imagine Apple not fixing a lot of bugs in the OS X Bluetooth stack with that update - given how many people have issues with Bluetooth in OS X 10.7.2 with all kinds of devices, including Apple's own.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

17.01.2013 14:20:43
View

Hello,

I have the exact same problem, with MacOS 10.7.5 on a MacMini with RemoteBuddy 1.2.3. I just ordered and received a Wiimote (Motion Plus).

Remote Buddy says pairing successful, but never connects. Then after about 10-15 seconds, a screen notice appears saying the Nintendo has disconnected.

In the console, the messages are : 
1/17/13 1:53:36.881 PM com.apple.launchd: (com.iospirit.candelair.sync) Throttling respawn: Will start in 9 seconds 
1/17/13 1:54:34.479 PM com.apple.launchd: (com.iospirit.candelair.sync) Throttling respawn: Will start in 9 seconds 
1/17/13 1:55:36.540 PM Remote Buddy: *** WARNING: Method selectRow:byExtendingSelection: in class GradientTableView is deprecated. It will be removed in a future release and should no longer be used. 
1/17/13 1:55:52.919 PM com.apple.launchd: (com.iospirit.candelair.sync) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds 
1/17/13 2:00:21.376 PM com.apple.launchd: (com.iospirit.candelair.sync) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds 
1/17/13 2:01:37.790 PM com.apple.launchd: (com.iospirit.candelair.sync) Throttling respawn: Will start in 9 seconds 
1/17/13 2:02:11.652 PM com.apple.launchd: (com.iospirit.candelair.sync) Throttling respawn: Will start in 9 seconds

I tried everything I could find in the forums. Using 1+2 or the red Sync button. Pressing them repeatedly.

I tried connecting using Apple's BlueTooth Setup Assistant. It finds the device but then says the device refuses pairing, console message: 
1/17/13 2:12:40.413 PM Bluetooth Setup Assistant: Pairing failed with 'Nintendo RVL-CNT-01-TR': error 0x5

I opened the Passcode Options and specified "Do not use a passcode with this device". It was able to pair, although the console says: 
1/17/13 2:12:45.992 PM Bluetooth Setup Assistant: skipping real pairing

It then appears as a connected device in Apple's Bluetooth menu, Remote Buddy sees it in the list of paired devices in its Preferences > Hardware pane, but it still does not see it as a connected Bluetooth Receiver in the Remote Buddy menu.

If I try to pair it at that point with Remote Buddy's Setup wizare, I get the following message:

"Preparing pairing... please wait..."

Console says: 
1/17/13 2:17:36.438 PM com.apple.launchd: (com.iospirit.candelair.sync) Throttling respawn: Will start in 6 seconds 
1/17/13 2:17:43.654 PM com.apple.launchd: (com.iospirit.candelair.sync) Throttling respawn: Will start in 9 seconds

After about a minute, a screen notice comes up saying that "Nintendo... disconnected"

I have no idea what else I can try now.

Any ideas. Please help !

Thanks.

User

17.01.2013 14:20:43
View

Hello,

I have the exact same problem, with MacOS 10.7.5 on a MacMini with RemoteBuddy 1.2.3. I just ordered and received a Wiimote (Motion Plus).

Remote Buddy says pairing successful, but never connects. Then after about 10-15 seconds, a screen notice appears saying the Nintendo has disconnected.

In the console, the messages are : 
1/17/13 1:53:36.881 PM com.apple.launchd: (com.iospirit.candelair.sync) Throttling respawn: Will start in 9 seconds 
1/17/13 1:54:34.479 PM com.apple.launchd: (com.iospirit.candelair.sync) Throttling respawn: Will start in 9 seconds 
1/17/13 1:55:36.540 PM Remote Buddy: *** WARNING: Method selectRow:byExtendingSelection: in class GradientTableView is deprecated. It will be removed in a future release and should no longer be used. 
1/17/13 1:55:52.919 PM com.apple.launchd: (com.iospirit.candelair.sync) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds 
1/17/13 2:00:21.376 PM com.apple.launchd: (com.iospirit.candelair.sync) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds 
1/17/13 2:01:37.790 PM com.apple.launchd: (com.iospirit.candelair.sync) Throttling respawn: Will start in 9 seconds 
1/17/13 2:02:11.652 PM com.apple.launchd: (com.iospirit.candelair.sync) Throttling respawn: Will start in 9 seconds

I tried everything I could find in the forums. Using 1+2 or the red Sync button. Pressing them repeatedly.

I tried connecting using Apple's BlueTooth Setup Assistant. It finds the device but then says the device refuses pairing, console message: 
1/17/13 2:12:40.413 PM Bluetooth Setup Assistant: Pairing failed with 'Nintendo RVL-CNT-01-TR': error 0x5

I opened the Passcode Options and specified "Do not use a passcode with this device". It was able to pair, although the console says: 
1/17/13 2:12:45.992 PM Bluetooth Setup Assistant: skipping real pairing

It then appears as a connected device in Apple's Bluetooth menu, Remote Buddy sees it in the list of paired devices in its Preferences > Hardware pane, but it still does not see it as a connected Bluetooth Receiver in the Remote Buddy menu.

If I try to pair it at that point with Remote Buddy's Setup wizare, I get the following message:

"Preparing pairing... please wait..."

Console says: 
1/17/13 2:17:36.438 PM com.apple.launchd: (com.iospirit.candelair.sync) Throttling respawn: Will start in 6 seconds 
1/17/13 2:17:43.654 PM com.apple.launchd: (com.iospirit.candelair.sync) Throttling respawn: Will start in 9 seconds

After about a minute, a screen notice comes up saying that "Nintendo... disconnected"

I have no idea what else I can try now.

Any ideas. Please help !

Thanks.

User

18.01.2013 15:01:01
View

Thanks for asking.

I just tried a Wii Remote (without Motion Plus) with a freshly installed 10.7.5 system and found that:

1) although the Setup Wizard doesn't go beyond "paired successfully ..", RB adds the device to its list of known devices (=> Preferences > Hardware > Bluetooth Receiver). The Wii Remote then closes the connection at some point. I'll have to investigate, why the Setup Wizard doesn't proceed beyond that. Probably a 10.7 specific issue since I can't reproduce the problem on a freshly installed 10.8.2 on the same test system.

2) With the Setup Wizard now closed, whenever I press buttons 1+2 on the Wii Remote after that, RB will now successfully build a connection and I can control it with the Wii Remote.

As a rule of thumb, you should definitely avoid trying to pair a Wii Remote with the OS X Bluetooth Setup Assistant: 
a) a Wii Remote paired this way will not turn up in Remote Buddy 
b) the system's HID drivers may then claim "ownership" of the device and prevent Remote Buddy from accessing the device directly

What happens if your Wii Remote is turned off and you press a button (any button)? Does it start blinking its four LEDs now - or does it do nothing?

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

18.01.2013 15:39:26
View

Hello,

Thank you for your fast answer. My follow-up below.

I just tried a Wii Remote (without Motion Plus) with a freshly installed 10.7.5 system and found that:

1) although the Setup Wizard doesn't go beyond "paired successfully ..", RB adds the device to its list of known devices (=> Preferences > Hardware > Bluetooth Receiver). The Wii Remote then closes the connection at some point. I'll have to investigate, why the Setup Wizard doesn't proceed beyond that. Probably a 10.7 specific issue since I can't reproduce the problem on a freshly installed 10.8.2 on the same test system.

Same thing I see.

2) With the Setup Wizard now closed, whenever I press buttons 1+2 on the Wii Remote after that, RB will now successfully build a connection and I can control it with the Wii Remote.

Not for me. If I close the Setup Wizard, and go in Preferences > Hardware > Bluetooth receiver, the Wii Remote appears in the list. If I press buttons 1+2 after that, nothing happens, and RB still doesn't see any Bluetooth remote connected in the menu, and I cannot control RB with it.

If I quit Remote Buddy and start it up again, it displays a screen notice to press 1+2 on my Wii remote. If I do, the message disappears after a few seconds, but RB doesn't see the remote as connected in its menu.

As a rule of thumb, you should definitely avoid trying to pair a Wii Remote with the OS X Bluetooth Setup Assistant: 
a) a Wii Remote paired this way will not turn up in Remote Buddy 
b) the system's HID drivers may then claim "ownership" of the device and prevent Remote Buddy from accessing the device directly

Ok. I tried this method because it was a suggestion in FAQ015E0187 on the RB website.

What happens if your Wii Remote is turned off and you press a button (any button)? Does it start blinking its four LEDs now - or does it do nothing?

If I press a button, any button, the four LEDs blink for about 5 seconds and stop. 
If I press 1+2, the four LEDs blink for about 20 seconds and stop.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards, 
Jean-Charles Mourey 

User

18.01.2013 23:14:06
View

Hello again,

I tried to upgrade to Mountain Lion, but it did not fix the problem. I still get the same behavior.

As an experiment, I left the Apple Bluetooth Assistant window open while I attempted the pairing of the Wiimote using RemoteBuddy.

When I press 1+2, the Wiimote immediately appears as a connected device in the Apple Bluetooth Assistant window, but RemoteBuddy still does not see it as connected in its menu. Then, after a while, the Wiimote gets disconnected again.

Thanks, 
Jean-Charles 

User

24.01.2013 10:35:11
View

Any more info on this problem? I'm still stuck... Don't know what else to try.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide. 

User

31.01.2013 04:48:07
View

I can reproduce this problem on OSX 10.8.2.

The Wii Remote Plus (built in MotionPlus) use a Bluetooth model RVL-CNT-01-TR whereas the older Wii Remotes use model RVL-CNT-01. There are some reports where some Wii Remote Pluses still use the old Bluetooth model, but I cannot personally confirm. These newer Wii remotes are now the default controllers that come with the new Wii U.

I get the same console error messages.

It pairs, but disconnects almost immediately (sync button is required for initial pairing, 1+2 nor sync will hold the connection after remote is paired).

I can get the same remote working on Dolphin 3.5-322 gamecube/wii emulator, but it cannot be paired via 1+2 anymore (only the Red sync button). Neither method works for Remote Buddy 1.23. Will definitely buy RB once I can confirm that it works with the Wii Remote Plus.

DarwiinRemote does NOT support Wii Remote Plus too (as if Mountain Lion didn't make this hard enough); I have yet to find someone with a working IR mouse implementation with the newer Wii Remote Plus.

EDIT: WJoy 0.5.1 I can confirm pairs with the RVL-CNT-01-TR model on OSX 10.8.2. The program and source can be found in the creator's google project page.

http://code.google.com/p/wjoy/

Last edited: 31.01.2013 07:14:25

Last edited: 31.01.2013 07:14:53 

User

05.02.2013 09:37:01
View

Thanks for the interesting info.

The Wii Remote Plus I own still uses RVL-CNT-01 as name. If Nintendo has moved on to another name in the meantime, Remote Buddy will need to adapted accordingly.

When did you buy your Wii Remote Plus?

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

05.02.2013 10:20:05
View

Hello,

As for me, I bought the Nintendo remote WiiPlus it a couple of weeks ago on Amazon. Since no solution was found to make it work with RemoteBuddy, I returned it and purchased a Harmony Remote 900 which works great natively with Plex. Unfortunately, it doesn't work as well when using it through Remote Buddy even with all the complex configuration steps with the 12 virtual remotes, etc.. Remote Buddy does control Plex for the most basic functions, but the more advanced buttons don't work as well, so I had to give up on RemoteBuddy for the time being, unfortunately.

Best regards, 
Jean-Charles Mourey

User

05.02.2013 14:09:49
View

Carl Kenner, author of glovePIE (a virtual mouse emulator for the windows platform) documented the differences between the older Wii Remote Plus and newer ones in his blog post: http://glovepie.org/blog/2012/01/03/wii-remote-plus/

But essentially, these RVL-CNT-01-TR models have been around since early 2012 and have completely succeeded the older models. One would have to go out of their way to find the old RVL-CNT-01 remotes, and the remote pluses with that model are even rarer to find (one sure example is the gold zelda remote plus)

Any new Remote Plus branded for Wii U will definitely have the new TR model number. 

User

16.03.2013 18:17:10
View

Is this going to be fixed soon? I've just a €50 Wii-remote (having bought RB some time ago), and now I'm discovering that this doesn't work (for over a year even!). And if Apple/OSX is to blame, why isn't this properly noted on the feature-list, warning people spending money on this? 
User

16.03.2013 21:21:02
View

Different issues and solutions have been discussed in this thread.

What issue are you referring to?

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

18.03.2013 20:52:26
View

I cant pair the wiimote to my Mac. Using the setup-wizard I get a status "Pairing successful. Establishing connection …" but it stays on this forever (even though its added to the hardware-list in the background). I've tried all possible solutions, but nothing helped at all.