Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

25.02.2012 17:29:02
Plex Laika + Harmony Remote issues with some buttons
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi Felix, 
Setup: Remote Buddy + Plex Laika 9.5.2 + Snow Leopard + Harmony 900 on a Mac Mini 2010. All version are up to date. 
I have a problem with the button "direction up" 
I look in the new joystick.Harmony.xml file which replace in Laika the old harmony.xml 
and I see that when I'm watching a movie (FullVideoScreen as it's called in the xml file) the button "direction up" should act to make a Bigstepforward (take the movie forward 10 min) 
<FullscreenVideo> 
<joystick name="Harmony"> 
<!-- up --> <button id="1">BigStepForward</button>

while in the menu is 
<keymap> 
<global> 
<joystick name="Harmony"> 
<!-- up --> <button id="1">Up</button>

in the menu the button up works normally but If I press the button up while watching a movie I can see that Plex open a little window at the bottom of the screen "Volume 0.0 DB" and nothing happens. 
Do you know why this happen? I can't figure it out.

In remote buddy the button up is set in this way: 
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23761381/remotebuddy.tiff

second problem 
in the old version of Plex when I was navigating the section "all movies" I can press the button 6 of the Harmony remote as a shortcut to go to the movies that 
starts with letter "m", 7 for "p", 8 for "t" etc... 
but now if I press the numeric buttons nothing happens 
You can see how I set the numbers in the image I posted before.

How Can I solve these problems, if it's possible. 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - Harmony® Smart Control
User

25.02.2012 21:53:02
Re: Plex Laika + Harmony Remote issues with some buttons
View

Thanks for asking.

The profile that applies to events sent by Remote Buddy's Plex Behaviour should be the Apple Remote, not the Harmony Remote. That aside, Remote Buddy always sends the same UDP data for each button press - and it's completely up to Plex to interpret that input and map it to an action using the respective xml file you mentioned.

To use Plex' Harmony mode (and profile), you'll have to set up Plex and your Harmony accordingly and configure Remote Buddy to simple pass through all Apple Remote events. A few years ago, I've put together a step by step guide for this, which you can find here:

http://www.iospirit.com/blog/article/131/Remote-Buddy-and-Boxee-Plex-and-XBMC/

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

31.03.2012 06:30:30
View

Hi 
I have been reading up about RemoteBuddy and gave it a try today - and I have now messed up my Harmony Plex interaction! The instruction as provided in the post did not help - this made it worse, Plex would not listen to any Harmony key presses afterwards (going up and down now changes the system volume!). 
Can somebody provide urgent help? Quitting RemoteBuddy did not.fix the problem either, so I am totally stuck now.

This happened after I had been trying a few nicethings with RB, I was actually quite excited...not any more :-)

help in English or German would be appreciated!

thanks, Danke! Henrik 

User

31.03.2012 08:16:02
View

Your problem for sure is not caused by Remote Buddy, which is actually very easy to show:

1) The Apple Remote OS X driver that Plex uses is a scarce resource: only one application can use it at a time.

2) When you get the default system response to a button press, it's a safe sign that no application is currently having a lock on the OS X driver and any application that wants to use it can actually use it.

3) Therefore, given your description, access to the Apple Remote is available to Plex, or any other application that wants to have it.

4) Why Plex does not try to use the Apple Remote on your system I can't tell. Remote Buddy for sure didn't change Plex' settings (there's no code in Remote Buddy that could even do this) and for sure doesn't keep Plex from accessing the Apple Remote on your system either.

5) Chances are you quit Plex' "PlexHelper" (which handles Apple Remote input for Plex), you turned off Apple Remote support in Plex, or PlexHelper doesn't try to gain access to the Apple Remote again when another application currently accessed it when PlexHelper initially launched.

6) Restarting "PlexHelper" and/or turning Apple Remote support in Plex on (or off and on again) may help. Please contact Plex Inc. for support on their product.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

01.04.2012 05:55:55
View

Hi Felix

Thanks for the quick reply. Changing remote in Plex to Apple and then back to Harmony did the trick, and when I tried to map buttons again for the Plex behaviour according to your instructions, it worked fine, the Harmony is back to normal. I do not know what I did the first time round, but clearly Plex Helper somehow lost access to the remote.

I have issues with getting my Mac to sleep, it often goes asleep for two seconds, and then comes back on again without activating the display. I saw some post here in the past about this, but I am not sure what and if Remote Buddy can help me here. any advice would be appreciated while I am trying out RB, getting the sleeping and waking up right would be a great contribution.

Whie I am trying understand what RB could add to my Harmony setup, I was wondering whether I could add any RB supported remote to my Harmony activity and assign default RB actions to some of its keys, and use these keys in my Harmny activity to bring up RB menu while in Plex?

Any other advice for what RB could bring to the table for a Harmony user would be very interesting for me!

Thanks, Henrik 

User

27.08.2012 20:05:09
View

Hi Felix,

Thanks for all the responses. I am a new RB user, and in fact, new to finally setting up Plex to work with Harmony, etc.

I am having trouble passing through commands to Plex via RB, and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. Specifically, I'm trying to pass through the Yellow, Red, Green, Blue commands to Plex, and ostensibly, later, I would like to pass on F1-F14, etc to let Plex handle those codes.

If RB isn't running, Plex seems to have the expected behavior of executing the commands it wants to for those key presses.

When RB is running, it doesn't receive those commands.

I have followed the mini harmony guide and I have the 10 Apple remotes set up, AR150-AR160. Accordingly, for Yellow, I've gone to AR159 and modified the "Select" button to the various 'center' buttons. Unfortunately, it just works as a select, and doesn't execute the "Yellow button" command.

Any thoughts? Thank you very much.

Best,

Bhavesh Patel