Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

24.04.2012 16:08:31
Repeat keystroke problem
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I have an issue trying to generate custom keystroke actions: I have created a new behaviour for an application, and all I need to do is create one action sending a 'Tab' keystroke that lets me moves between different input fields. All was easily created, the behaviour activates just fine, and the keystroke executes - but unfortunately about three times for every time I press the corresponding remote button! I have tried this on three different remotes (standard Apple Aluminium, Ajax, Harmony remote Plex profile with logical remotes created)...I have also tried all the settings in the action.

Other actions created (e.g. Applescripts, other behaviours) work absolutely fine, I really like the functionality!

I would really appreciate some urgent help (and I have only six days left in my RB trial to confirm that this is the right solution for me!) - I have used keystrokes before and it worked fine, but now it behaves oddly everywhere I try!

Henrik

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Behaviours
Configuration
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - Harmony® Smart Control
User

24.04.2012 21:22:02
Re: Repeat keystroke problem
View

Thanks for asking.

A few ideas / questions:

1) Are you using a Keystroke actor - or - AppleScript? If you're using a keystroke actor, what are you settings? (preferably post a screenshot showing all of them, f.ex. on droplr.com)

2) How have you mapped that action? To which button? Is it the only action mapped to that button? Or have you, f.ex. mapped another action to its "hold" version?

3) Just as a reminder: the Plex profile is technically broken and shouldn't be used with Remote Buddy. For some buttons, the Harmony will sends the codes of multiple button presses for a single button press.

4) Does quitting EyeTV make the problem disappear?

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

25.04.2012 03:07:46
View

Hi,

1) I am trying to use a keystroke actor (following the way it is executed in the video on the website). http://d.pr/i/hZGj is the screenshot requested. Unfortunately I do not know Applescript myself, but I know how to use it, I successfully mapped an Applescript that activates a VPN connection (I found the script on the web). I would happily replace the keystroke actor with a script if that helps, but I would need the script...

2( This is a copy of the respective mapping table - http://d.pr/i/5HEK. Nothing is mapped under Global, and the defaults are unchanged under Default Behaviour. Nothing under Hold either.

3) I do normally use the Plex profile, as this is how I found out about Remote Buddy in the first place...although I now feel I may not need to in the long run given the ease of navigation through RB menus. But I am now trying this away from the TV, with just an Aluminium Apple remote, and the error is exactly the same, so in this case the problem is unlikely to be Plex Harmony profile linked (as an aside, I would love to know which of the Plex profile buttons do not work, as so far it works fine for everything else I have tried...but I could avoid pitfalls if I knew!)

4) EyeTV is not running when I am trying to use this behavior

Thanks for your help!

Henrik 

User

27.04.2012 05:49:06
View

Here is some additional info, in the hope that I will find a solution: I tried the exact same thing on my iMac, and it works perfectly, no repeats...Any idea what may be happening on my MacBookPro? 
User

05.05.2012 16:06:01
View

Thanks for the additional info.

Everything looks correct so far. What you could still try, however, is to not use the "Send event directly to application" option and use "Activate application and bring it to front" instead. This will post the keystroke event(s) to the global event queue rather than the event queue exclusive to the target application.

Although both is fully supported by standard OS X APIs, I know from experience that not all applications can handle keystrokes that are sent directly to them. Reason: unknown. You'll have to try it out to know whether this applies to your use case.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz