Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

27.05.2012 21:54:16
New User Struggling
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Sorry for a real newbie question, but I am struggling to get my head around how to use Remote Buddy with a Mac Mini and Plex.

What I can't seem to find, is a simple idiots guide to setting up a Logitech Harmony Remote for Plex using RB. I have the remote working fine with Plex, but I need to add something to wake the Mac Mini up. At the moment I have to hit enter on the keyboard before Plex can start.

Can someone tell me the steps to set RB up with Plex and the Harmony? Just the steps to send a Wake-up to the Mac and then allow the remote to control Plex would be great and hopefully from there I can work out the more advanced bits

Thanks

Phil 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

27.05.2012 22:17:01
Re: New User Struggling
View

Thanks for asking.

Please see this blog post: 
http://www.iospirit.com/blog/article/131/Remote-Buddy-and-Boxee-Plex-and-XBMC/

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

27.05.2012 22:30:36
View

Ah, that helps some; but still struggling :-)

What is the difference in the latest mapping screen (from the screen shot in the blog) that has Apple Remote and Hot Key Remote sections?

Also, how would I map a key from my Logitech Harmony so it can send a wake-up to the Mac Mini (avoiding me having to hit the Enter key on a keyboard)?

Thanks

Phil 

User

27.05.2012 22:44:01
View

What is the difference in the latest mapping screen (from the screen shot in the blog) that has Apple Remote and Hot Key Remote sections?

I'm not sure I understand your question correctly but: the Apple Remote section allows configuration of the buttons of the Apple Remote. The Hotkey Remote section offers the same for the Hotkey Remote. You can find information on what the Hotkey Remote is, here: http://helpbooks.iospirit.net/remotebuddy/english/ref_prefs_hardware_hotkey.html

Also, how would I map a key from my Logitech Harmony so it can send a wake-up to the Mac Mini (avoiding me having to hit the Enter key on a keyboard)?

Any Apple Remote button code sent by your Harmony will wake up your Mac Mini.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

29.05.2012 10:11:42
View

Can I suggest you take a while to read this excellent blog about getting getting a mac mini, and harmony remote, and Plex (and other apps) working seamlessly? It really helped me out.

http://miniharmony.blogspot.com.au/

User

25.06.2012 23:45:33
View

Hi PhilC,

Did you get it sorted out? I'm also a new user and struggling now for a couple of days... found serveral guides but none give me the end result I like... 
I'm using a 2010 MacMini with Lion installed, Harmony 1100, Plex and Remote Buddy/Calandair installed.

Out of the Box without additional tool I can control the basics of Plex, but cannot sleep the Mac Mini. 
Once I installed Remote Buddy and manually paired an mapped the ten remotes the controlls all gone, nothing works. 
Mapped it over and over again, tried in within the behavior but also as a Global Mapping... nothing only an "oink"-sound of OSX Lion 
Also reinstalled the Mac and Remote Buddy with the same results... very frustrating

If someone can provide me some help I would be very happy!

Kind regards, 
MelvinC 

User

26.06.2012 21:39:23
View

Hi Melvin

No, didn't sort it out and gave up. To be fair, I didn't stick at it that long as I didn't have the time to get my head around how this works and how to set-up RemoteBuddy to work with Plex. The help and such, didn't help and the instructions are not the most clear and pleas for help here, didn't get suitable responses.

Pity as others praise using RemoteBuddy, so it must be possible. Just I couldn't work it out and I have been in IT for 30 odd years :-(

Phil 

User

26.06.2012 23:56:57
View

Hi Phil,

Nice another IT-guy who didn’t get it sorted out the first time… ;-)

But this one has finally success… I’ve no idea if it makes any sense what I did but my goal was to wake and sleep the MacMini and control Plex and its features… Finally it’s all working now! Hurray!!!

This is what I did to get the Harmony control the MacMini with Plex installed via Remote Buddy (BTW I installed Remote Buddy because of the sleep issues since OSX Lion) maybe some steps are not needed but I give you all I did:

1. Set Plex Preferences to use Universal Remote and quit Plex. 
2. Pair the 10 Harmony “virtual” remotes (150-160 except 156) via the Hardware option. 
3. Add 10 logical remotes for the just paired ones and map them to the ID’s of virtuals. 
4. Set the 10 logical remotes to the aluminum ones by clicking the name and select your remote 
5. In global mapping (I don’t need Remote Buddy for any other applications) set all the remotes to use the Virtual Remote buttons, for example Up => Virtual button press: Up and so on for all the remotes, this will take some minutes ;-) 
6. Set Plex Preferences to use Harmony Remote 
7. In the Logitech software adjust the power options for the Device Plex; I want to turn off this device when it’s not in use; A button on the remote for On, and a different button for Off; On – I don’t have the original remote, but I know the command that is used => Play; Off – I don’t have the original remote, but I know the command that is used => Sleep 
8. I also adjusted the delay settings, to Power-On delay 1500ms; Inter-key delay 100ms; Inter-device delay 500ms 
9. Update the harmony and try again, I my case with this settings it works like a charm.

I hope that this steps also can help you and others who are struggling with this issue.

Best regards, 
Melvin