Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

03.08.2012 22:26:08
Long-press of menu button while RB menu is active
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi Felix and fellow Remote Buddies,

I am painfully close to figuring out a way to use RB to control my entire A/V system.

I'm basically using RB's applescript integration to trigger IR commands from a universal remote control product called the Redeye. I created "Behaviors" to control my other A/V components and also remapped a long-press of the menu button using "Global mapping" to turn on the receiver, the TV, and switch the receivers input to the Mac Mini so I can see the Remote Buddy's menu.

The problem is that when RB menu is active but the TV is off (or the receiver is switched to another component) and I try to do a long-press of the menu button it just does nothing... now, I understand why any short-presses while menu is active should override any global mapping, but why not let the global mapped long-presses still work? This way I could make the long-press of menu button always turn on everything and/or set the receiver back to the Mac-Mini.

Currently all long-presses of apple remote buttons result in the equivalent short-press except the menu button... Felix, if keeping the globally long-presses working while the RB menu is active is not something you want to do, then please consider letting the long-press of the menu button trigger a short press of the menu button... that would at least deactivate the menu so that the second time I long-press the menu button it will turn on the A/V components.

Or maybe someone has an alternative way of fixing my issue... I am open to any ideas... I'm so close to getting this thing working and would really appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Christian

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

04.08.2012 09:43:01
Re: Long-press of menu button while RB menu is active
View

Hi Christian,

thanks for asking.

While the menu is active, a long press of the menu button will bring you to the top entry of the menu. You'll only notice this when you're not already at the top entry of the menu, of course.

For a full reference, including another long press shortcut, please see "Button shortcuts inside the menu" at

http://helpbooks.iospirit.net/remotebuddy/english/ref_menu.html

I'm afraid that right now, I'll not be able to help out with an immediate solution. Sorry for that!

I'm working on new concepts for button mapping for some time now, but I'm still refining and it's not ready for primetime just yet.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

05.08.2012 04:22:00
Re: Long-press of menu button while RB menu is active
View

Hi Christian,

thanks for asking.

While the menu is active, a long press of the menu button will bring you to the top entry of the menu. You'll only notice this when you're not already at the top entry of the menu, of course.

For a full reference, including another long press shortcut, please see "Button shortcuts inside the menu" at

http://helpbooks.iospirit.net/remotebuddy/english/ref_menu.html

I'm afraid that right now, I'll not be able to help out with an immediate solution. Sorry for that!

Sorry... I missed the fact the the long menu press already had functionality... I was really just suggesting the menu button because it was the most obvious choice for an ON button for the A/V system... I would use the long press of the Select or Play button if it deactivated the menu. I understand that I might be the only person using RB to control their AV devices but it seems like such a good idea if you have a mac hooked into your A/V system.... It comes down to the fact that its easy for me to understand that if the long press menu does not turn everything on, I just have to hit the menu button and then the long menu press will work... but try explaining that to a house guest, girlfriend or wife ;)

Perhaps you might consider building in support for an USB based IR transmitter into the next version so RB could control your AV devices without having to also get something like the Redeye. I have been using Redeye and other iOS based virtual remotes while also a using an RB with an Apple Remote for the last six months and I have found that I always go for the tactile and simplified experience of using the Apple Remote... that thing is the perfect size, look, and feel ...and one should be able to use it to control everything ;)

I'm working on new concepts for button mapping for some time now, but I'm still refining and it's not ready for primetime just yet.

I look forward to seeing these new concepts, RB is already an amazing and power tool... I can't wait to see how it evolves.

Best,

Christian