Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

06.10.2012 13:59:17
Apple Remote stop working after updating to Remote Buddy 1.22 and Candelair 1.10 on Mt Lion
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I am a long time user who has never have any issue with this great product. Recently, I have upgrade from snow leopard to mountain lion. The upgrade went smoothly and my remote buddy works just fine. However, yesterday, I update both candelair from 1.8 to 1.10 and from older version of RB to the latest 1.22. I did these update at the same time, therefore, I couldn't know what caused the issue. Now, my Mac Mini late 2009 model does not respond to my apple remote (both aluminium and plastic model). Does anyone has similar issue? if so, how did you solved it? 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

06.10.2012 14:12:01
Re: Apple Remote stop working after updating to Remote Buddy 1.22 and Candelair 1.10 on Mt Lion
View

Thanks for asking.

Did you reboot after updating the Candelair driver?

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

06.10.2012 14:25:08
Re: Apple Remote stop working after updating to Remote Buddy 1.22 and Candelair 1.10 on Mt Lion
View

Thanks for your prompt reply. I did restart my Mac Mini several times after. Although, I forgot to mention, I also updated this morning to the latest 10.8.2 supplemental update. Maybe that might caused the issue? In addition, the RDC reports two issues both are "UserEventAgent (PID 134) is using the AppleŽ Remote".

Last edited: 06.10.2012 14:29:20 

User

06.10.2012 16:14:01
View

Please download, install and run Remote Control Diagnostics:

http://www.iospirit.com/labs/remotecontroldiagnostics/

Please copy and paste the results.

Thanks in advance. 

User

07.10.2012 00:14:08
View

Information 
Diagnostics are performed by Remote Control Diagnostics V1.2.1 on a Macmini3,1 running OS X 1082.

Searching for Hardware 
AppleŽ IR Receiver found on USB bus.

Checking Drivers 
Known ISAIRDriver driver is loaded 
Candelair/Remote Buddy driver version 1.21 found 
Driver supports exclusive access

Checking Preferences 
IR Receiver is not limited to a particular remote's ID 
IR Receiver is enabled

Checking running applications 
UserEventAgent (PID 129) is using the AppleŽ Remote 
If UserEventAgent is accessing your AppleŽ IR Receiver exclusively, no other application or OS X will receive AppleŽ Remote button press events for as long as the exclusive access is taking place. This can give you the impression that your AppleŽ Remote doesn't work. In that case, try quitting UserEventAgent (located at /usr/libexec/UserEventAgent) and check whether it makes a difference. 
UserEventAgent (PID 129) is using the AppleŽ Remote 
If UserEventAgent is accessing your AppleŽ IR Receiver exclusively, no other application or OS X will receive AppleŽ Remote button press events for as long as the exclusive access is taking place. This can give you the impression that your AppleŽ Remote doesn't work. In that case, try quitting UserEventAgent (located at /usr/libexec/UserEventAgent) and check whether it makes a difference. 
OS X AppleŽ Remote support process found

Testing exclusive access 
IR Receiver: applications can get exclusive access 

User

10.10.2012 04:07:04
View

I have tried the following 
1. revert the mac back to snow leopard which I knew it was working with candelair 1.7 and older remote buddy. However, it did not work. It seems it is firmware related? Does remote buddy / mountain lion perform one-way firmware update? 
2. I am able to wake up my mac mini using remote running snow leopard (but not Mt. Lion) 
3. I have uninstall and install remote buddy with default Candelair driver (1.22) 
4. I ran the RCD and everything is green! But it is still not working! The following is the RCD log

Information 
Diagnostics are performed by Remote Control Diagnostics V1.2.1 on a Macmini3,1 running OS X 1082.

Searching for Hardware 
AppleŽ IR Receiver found on USB bus.

Checking Drivers 
Known ISAIRDriver driver is loaded 
Candelair/Remote Buddy driver version 1.21 found 
Driver supports exclusive access

Checking Preferences 
IR Receiver is not limited to a particular remote's ID 
IR Receiver is enabled 
Checking running applications 
OS X AppleŽ Remote support process found

Testing exclusive access 
IR Receiver: applications can get exclusive access 

User

11.10.2012 13:26:01
View

Thanks for posting your results.

1) No firmware updates have ever been issued by Apple for the Apple IR Receiver that it puts into Macs. 
OS X Mountain Lion, Remote Buddy and Candelair do not perform any firmware updates.

2) Apple changed both the sleep behaviour (in general) and wakeup reaction (to many peripherals, including mice and the Apple Remote) in OS X Lion already. For details, please see: 
http://www.iospirit.com/blog/article/157/Waking-the-sleeping-Lion-Remote-Buddy-1-18-1/ 
http://www.iospirit.com/labs/candelair/releasenotes/ (Version 1.7)

3) Please see System Preferences > Security > More options (bottom-right corner) and check that OS X hasn't disabled your IR Receiver (which is the default OS X setting).

Based on your reports, the only explanation for your Mac not reacting to presses on your Apple Remote is that your Apple Remote needs a new battery. When the battery level is low, the Apple Remote will first send a "low battery" signal with every button press, and only then the actual button press. I can imagine that, with a very low battery level, it may only have enough power to send the "low battery" signal. Since it's a valid Apple Remote IR code, it'll wake up a Mac, but - since it's not a button press - won't trigger any reaction.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz