Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

19.12.2012 09:35:42
Strange issues after waking mac mini from sleep
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I'm using a mac mini with my HDTV, and am trying to set up remote buddy to fine-tune the controls (I'm using the standard apple remote). I've got everything working nicely - controlling plex (which i use to watch content) works fine, and I've set up some alternative 'default behaviors' under 'mapping' for when I'm not running plex, for example so that the select button of the apple remote starts up plex. THis so that when Plex crashes (which it does occasionally) you can simply reopen it by using the remote.

Now the problem. THis all works nicely until I put the mac mini in sleep mode. If I then take the mac mini out of sleep mode by using the remote, all of a sudden iTunes opens, and the 'default behaviors' I programmed stop working. I.e. 'select' stops opening plex - it now starts/stops iTunes. Up and down still work in plex, but I see the mac system symbol of 'volume adjustment' on top of the plex interface. So, it seems that after waking the mac mini from sleep, remote buddy is no longer able to keep control of the remote - it loses the ability to override the standard mac behaviors linked to the remote.

The bizarre thing is that I've even got an issue if I take the mac mini out of sleep mode if I don't use the remote but for example the keyboard. Now iTunes doesn't start up, but I do occasionally lose the ability to use the new behaviors I programmed under 'default behaviors'.

Perhaps someone can tell me if they have the same issue? And better yet - if there is a fix?

Chris 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

19.12.2012 10:30:01
Re: Strange issues after waking mac mini from sleep
View

Thanks for asking.

Sounds like multiple applications (Remote Buddy being one of them) are rushing to get exclusive access to your Apple IR Receiver after wakeup - with random outcome.

Remote Buddy's driver (Candelair) works around this and other issues/flaws of the default OS X Apple Remote subsystem by adding an additional control layer that provides Remote Buddy with priviledged access to the IR Receiver.

Did you install Remote Buddy's driver (Candelair)?

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

19.12.2012 15:04:07
Re: Strange issues after waking mac mini from sleep
View

Dear Felix,

Thanks very much for your quick reply. I didn't install candelair yet, as the IOSpirit website says that candelair is 'based on remote buddy's driver', which I read as implying that if you've got remote buddy installed, there is no point to also install candelair. However, i did what you said and installed it - this indeed has fixed the issue, which is great.

There is only one tiny issue remaining which I am unable to resolve - if the mac mini is running plex and then goes to sleep, i would like the key press on the remote that wakes up the mac not to be acted upon by plex. If you use the keyboard, this is what happens - if you press enter, it just wakes the mac from sleep, plex doesn't respond to the enter command. If you use the remote, however, the mac wakes from sleep, AND plex than follows up the key press command. So, if you press 'select', plex follows up this command and opens up a menu, for example.

Now this isn't a problem for me. But other members of my family will get confused, as this may mean that they now suddenly find themselves in a different menu than where they were before the computer went to sleep, or that a movie suddenly starts playing. The system needs to be 'fool proof', which means that wife and kids must be able to work it without getting confused and asking for my help. :)

Any ideas?

Chris