Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

29.12.2012 16:38:39
Ps3 Remote with Mac mini Late 2012 - no way to connect it.
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi all,

Whatever I do, I don't get the PS3 remote(CECH-ZRC1E) connected to my new Mac mini late 2012 with OS X 10.8.2 installed. 
I tried it with the default OS X Bluetooth pairing tool. There it keeps asking me for a code. None that I tried did work. 
Then I followed the instruction found on this page after installing the remote buddy trial. I did remove the plists, I did reboot, I did remove it from both remote buddy and OS X, I paired it with my MBP09(where pairing works). Then I tried to pair it using the wizard. It said pairing was successful but then keeps trying to connect without success. I woke up the remote again after it went to sleep I don't know how many times, but it des not connect. I repeated everything and rebooted, once it said it is paired, but that also doesn't work.

Am I too stupid?

Cheers, 
Frustrated Tom 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - Sony® BD Remote Control
Hardware - Wii™ Remote
User

29.12.2012 21:58:01
Re: Ps3 Remote with Mac mini Late 2012 - no way to connect it.
View

Thanks for asking.

Then I tried to pair it using the wizard. It said pairing was successful but then keeps trying to connect without success.

What do you mean by "keeps trying to connect without success"?

I woke up the remote again after it went to sleep I don't know how many times, but it des not connect.

What do you mean with "woke up", "went to sleep" and "does not connect"? How do you identify it waking up and sleeping without a connection?

I repeated everything and rebooted, once it said it is paired, but that also doesn't work.

What means "doesn't work" in that context? Do you still get the passcode/PIN requester from OS X?

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

29.12.2012 22:54:48
View

Thanks for asking.

Then I tried to pair it using the wizard. It said pairing was successful but then keeps trying to connect without success.

What do you mean by "keeps trying to connect without success"?

The Dialog of the wizard stays in the state where it shows which buttons on the remote I have to push. There is a status text beginning with something like "looking for remotes". It remains forever in a state prompting "pairing done, waiting to connect".

I woke up the remote again after it went to sleep I don't know how many times, but it des not connect.

What do you mean with "woke up", "went to sleep" and "does not connect"? How do you identify it waking up and sleeping without a connection?

When pushing the button enter and play the PS3 button on the remote keeps flashing in red. Once that stopped I tried different variants to "wake up" the remote. Either pushing enter and play again or pushing the ps button or any other button.

I repeated everything and rebooted, once it said it is paired, but that also doesn't work.

What means "doesn't work" in that context? Do you still get the passcode/PIN requester from OS X?

Exactly

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz

Danke & Grüße, 
Thomas 
User

12.01.2013 10:51:47
View

no more ideas for me? 
User

12.01.2013 11:59:01
View

Sorry, I seem not to have seen your previous reply due to the holidays.

When pushing the button enter and play the PS3 button on the remote keeps flashing in red.

The Sony PS3 BD Remote as supported by Remote Buddy does not have any lights on it. The PS3 button there is made from the same, opaque material as the other buttons.

Which remote are you using?

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

12.01.2013 12:02:13
View

It seems to be a new one. It also has IR built in to control TV etc., but it is a orig. Sony. I stated the model no in my initial post. 
Thank you for helping ;) 
User

13.01.2013 00:47:01
Re: Re: Ps3 Remote with Mac mini Late 2012 - no way to connect it.
View

Yes I can confirm there is supposed to be a new version of the 
official Sony BD Remote. It came out before Christmas. Haven't seen 
one myself but you can find it on the internet. Technology websites, 
amazon product search, and others.

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 11:02 AM, ThomasG 
wrote:

It seems to be a new one. It also has IR built in to control TV etc., but it is a orig. Sony. I stated the model no in my initial post. 
Thank you for helping ;)

[standard mail footer removed]

User

14.01.2013 11:23:01
View

Thanks for the info.

Although I'm following many technology websites, this must have slipped through. I also can't seem to find anything through Google.

Where can I find information on that new version?

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

14.01.2013 13:36:01
View

This is where I found it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlayStation-Remote-Control-Version/dp/B009VUPA64/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1358166322&sr=8-5

For you, go here:

http://www.amazon.de/Sony-Blu-ray-Remote-Control-Version/dp/B0050SX9I2/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1358166765&sr=8-13

or here

http://www.amazon.de/Sony-PS3-Blu-ray-Disc-Fernbedienung-Black/dp/B00A7REXTA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1358166765&sr=8-5

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 10:23 AM, Felix 
wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Although I'm following many technology websites, this must have slipped through. I also can't seem to find anything through Google.

Where can I find information on that new version?

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz

[standard mail footer removed]

User

14.01.2013 22:42:01
View

Thanks for taking the time to dig up and provide the links!

The remote pictured is the PS3 Media Remote, which - to my understanding - is a new, separate product. Last time I checked Sony sold both the new remote and the original PS3 BD Remote.

Checking again, however, I can't find the PS3 BD Remote listed on Sony's PS3 website under "Accessories" anymore, so Sony might have chosen to no longer offer the BD Remote.

Either way, I've long looked for a chance of buying the new Media Remote in Germany (it was previously not available here) to test RB with it - and I've just placed a purchase. Thanks!

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

21.01.2013 20:52:55
View

Hey, great! 
Sounds like there is hope out there :) 
Already any learnings, or are you still waiting for the remote? 
User

22.01.2013 14:05:01
View

From my early testing it appears that OS X is not pairing the remote correctly. Debug output from OS X in the kernel.log further suggests OS X - once again - tries to authenticate this remote that does not support authentication.

kernel[0]: [SendHCIRequestFormatted] ### ERROR: [0x0411] (Authentication Requested) -- Send request failed (err = 0x0006 (kBluetoothHCIErrorKeyMissing)) 
kernel[0]: [SendHCIRequestFormatted] ### ERROR: [0x0406] (Disconnect) -- Send request failed (err = 0x0012 (kBluetoothHCIErrorInvalidHCICommandParameters))

After some trying I've had success in pairing it with Remote Buddy regardless. This worked: 
1) Pair using Remote Buddy's Setup Wizard. Doesn't complete because of authentication issue above. 
2) Quit Remote Buddy. 
3) Wait for the remote to stop trying to pair 
4) Pair using Remote Buddy's Setup Wizard. 
5) Success. 
6) Reboot.

From early tests, I don't see anything I could do to work around what looks like another internal OS X Bluetooth stack problem.

Here's hope the Bluetooth stack of OS X 10.8.3 will be closer to the one of OS X 10.6 in terms of stability and reliability. We'll have to wait and see.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

22.01.2013 21:42:42
View

In a quick Test, i wasn't able to reproduce this... Unfortunately my test version will expire in 6 days :(

User

04.02.2013 18:23:18
View

Hi Felix,

I've been a remote buddy user off and on for about 5 years now. It’s a great product and I’ve recommended it to others.

I’ve used the PS3 remote in the past and found it way more pleasurable to use than the harmony one because of the harmony’s tedious mappings and slow key response. I was excited to learn about the new PS3 remote with IR capabilities but disappointed to learn it only works with select Sony Amplifiers. I couldn’t find a manual anywhere to list device support either. Then I found the SMK-Link Blu-Link PS3 remote. It will control 5 other IR sources from a variety of manufactures. This could very well be the perfect remote for Remote Buddy.

I’m in the US, but here is the German link for you. 
http://www.amazon.de/SMK-Link-Blu-Link-Universal-Fernbedienung-PlayStation/dp/B002LARYGA/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1359996179&sr=1-2-catcorr

Here is the manual showing the extensive device support: 
http://www.blu-link.com/docs/blu-link_manual.pdf

I just got it this weekend and was able to get it controlling my Epson 8350 projector, Harman Kardon AV receiver, Apple TV (as DVD/VCR) and Dish Satellite box with full menu / DVR control. The Mac min Bluetooth sync has been very flakey though. I was able to get it to pair through remote buddy app, but then it only intermittently works. Sometimes I can’t get it to do anything even though it says it’s connected, other times it works great. I’m suspecting it’s the flakey Bluetooth implementation in OSX 10.8.2. I plan to experiment around with it some more to see if I can get it working better, but wanted you to be aware of this remote and it’s potential with remote buddy. If I’m able to hack OS X to get it to work better I’ll report back.

Last edited: 04.02.2013 18:24:25 

User

05.02.2013 13:58:49
View

In my case conflict turned out to be with Spotify background process. I was actually running an older version of remote buddy by mistake (1.2.1) that was launching from a back-up volume. I just updated to 1.2.3 and so far so good.

SMK-Link PS3 remote is now working very similarly to sony PS3 remote, but can control my other IR gear too.

Last edited: 05.02.2013 14:22:07