Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

26.02.2013 21:49:55
Play/Pause on Apple Remote doesn't work
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Apple remote (aluminum) works with RB on eyetv Diversity and iMac (late 2012)/OSX 10.8.2 with except for the play and select buttons, which don't do anything. Candelair appears to make no difference and the problem occurs in at least several applications (including VLC and DVD Player).

Pressing the buttons results in a signal. Any ideas? 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - EyeTV Receiver
User

26.02.2013 21:56:01
Re: Play/Pause on Apple Remote doesn't work
View

Thanks for asking.

From the supported hardware page (http://www.iospirit.com/products/remotebuddy/hardware/#eyetvreceivers):

"* The AppleŽ Remote (Aluminium) can be used. With this receiver type, the seperate Select- and Play/Pause-buttons can't be mapped independantly, though."

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

28.02.2013 19:47:37
View

Hallo and thanks for the quick response.

I had seen the comment you refer to, but I interpreted it to mean that the two buttons couldn't be programmed with 2 different functions rather than that they can't be programmed at all. Is there any chance that this will be fixed? The play/pause function is important (at least to me).

Thanks

Nick 

User

01.03.2013 11:22:02
View

Thanks for asking.

You can customize the actions for the "Select" button, with the "Play/Pause" button performing the same action.

The problem at hand is that Apple used a smart tweak while adding the extra button: it sends the same IR code for both the "Select" and "Play/Pause" button, but sends an additional, special IR code when you press the "Play/Pause" button. These two IR codes are sent in such rapid succession that they're not always reliably received/decoded by EyeTV receivers.

Support could be added for the "Play/Pause" button, but it would not be reliable. If an estimated 50% of the time, the extra button is not recognized correctly, however, and another action gets executed, all that would cause is frustration. That's why there's no support for the additional "Play/Pause" button on the aluminum models.

That said, Remote Buddy does support the extra button with all other external receivers (f.ex. eHome/MCE).

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

03.03.2013 20:01:33
View

Thanks for the answer. It sounds as though it's a hardware problem with Apple's remote. The obvious answer, at least to me, should therefore be to allocate the play/pause function to another button. I tried this though (to the Menu button, with the Remote Buddy Menu being assigned to 'Menu long') but this simply blocks the Menu button completely, i.e. neither function works.

The play/pause and select buttons don't seem to work regardless of which function is assigned to them, even when its the same function.

I'm setting the buttons in global settings rather than for individual programs. Remote buddy also seems to identifying my remote (Apple aluminium) as an Apple 1st gen. plastic remote. Could this be causing the problems?