Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

17.03.2013 21:08:56
is there a way to login during startup with the apple remote and RBExpress by running RBExpress as daemon?
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi,

I am a software engineer and would like to implement a feature which involves being able to login with the apple remote & RBExpress during system startup. I have read a previous post with a similar question that said it wasn"t possible because the user needs to login for the login item to auto launch. I understand this concept to be a login item/ launch agent in terms of Mac OSx Mountain Lion. Launch agents will launch after user login because those are user specific. On the other hand, a daemon is system-wide service call which can be done before user login.

Question 1 : Is it possible to run the app as a daemon? A requirement (from the launchd program) being that it doesn't use fork (if you try to daemonize the process) so launchd doesn't loose control of the process. Is the RB system broken into service and stand alone UI front-end? I think it is split; from the usage it seems the preferences UI modifies parameters of an active background process. Can I assume the front-end layer is forking the active background service? Or is the service as a main process forking a perferences pane? In any case, is there a way to call at the api/class/object to activate on startup as a system-wide service called by root?

Question 2 : What is Candelair prefs tool? I know there is a preference pane integrated in remote buddy express app for candelair. Does it communicate with the remote buddy express app? If it does that would be useful to implement my desired feature.

I am sure it is possible so please can you help me out with this.

Thanks in advance, 
Manoj 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Configuration
General
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - Wii™ Remote
Hardware - iPhone™ / iPod® touch / AJAX Remote
Mac App Store
User

18.03.2013 21:37:01
Re: is there a way to login during startup with the apple remote and RBExpress by running RBExpress as daemon?
View

If it's a standard Apple Remote, then there should be some open source 
code out there which can be compiled into a Daemon. However security 
reasons might get in the way… If OS X is disabling the IR Remote 
whilst you aren't logged in.

Don't really see the point of using Remote Buddy if it's for the 
standard Apple IR Remote.

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 8:08 PM, Manoj 
wrote:

Hi,

I am a software engineer and would like to implement a feature which involves being able to login with the apple remote & RBExpress during system startup. I have read a previous post with a similar question that said it wasn"t possible because the user needs to login for the login item to auto launch. I understand this concept to be a login item/ launch agent in terms of Mac OSx Mountain Lion. Launch agents will launch after user login because those are user specific. On the other hand, a daemon is system-wide service call which can be done before user login.

Question 1 : Is it possible to run the app as a daemon? A requirement (from the launchd program) being that it doesn't use fork (if you try to daemonize the process) so launchd doesn't loose control of the process. Is the RB system broken into service and stand alone UI front-end? I think it is split; from the usage it seems the preferences UI modifies parameters of an active background process. Can I assume the front-end layer is forking the active background service? Or is the service as a main process forking a perferences pane? In any case, is there a way to call at the api/class/object to activate on startup as a system-wide service called by root?

Question 2 : What is Candelair prefs tool? I know there is a preference pane integrated in remote buddy express app for candelair. Does it communicate with the remote buddy express app? If it does that would be useful to implement my desired feature.

I am sure it is possible so please can you help me out with this.

Thanks in advance, 
Manoj

[standard mail footer removed]

User

19.03.2013 22:26:04
Re: is there a way to login during startup with the apple remote and RBExpress by running RBExpress as daemon?
View

I need RBExpress service running before login (during startup) to activate the virtual keyboard to provide the user password. I haven't actually checked whether or not the apple remote ir receiver service is on during startup (before login). I am new to MacOS, I have been with ubuntu since day one, so it is going to take sometime for me to find my way around the filesystem.

Thanks,

Manoj 

User

19.03.2013 22:36:01
View

Thanks for asking.

As far as I know, Remote Buddy (or other apps) can't be run outside of a user's session (which only starts once logged in).

A solution for you might be to automatically log in the user, configure OS X so that it requires a password when the screensaver was active - and activate the screen saver via Launch Items. All of the setting you need for this should be found in System Preferences > Security and > Users & Groups.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz