Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

14.04.2013 10:39:11
Remote buddy doesn't work when application freezes
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
When I use plex, there are times when it freezes. When that happens, I have no way to launch the remote buddy menu or custom actions. I had written an applcescript action that kills the plex process and restarts it, but the action doesn't work when the application freezes. 
Is there any way around this? 
-Dan

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Configuration
Hardware
Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

16.04.2013 09:50:02
Re: Remote buddy doesn't work when application freezes
View

Thanks for asking.

AppleScript works by sending a message to the targeted application and waiting for a response. If you send a command to a hanging application, it won't send a response. This will then also lead to a hang in the application that executed the AppleScript, because it now waits for a response that will never come.

You can specify a timeout after which AppleScript stops waiting for a response by surrounding your code with "with timeout of X seconds" / "end timeout". Please see

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/applescript/conceptual/applescriptlangguide/reference/ASLR_control_statements.html

for Apple's reference. Depending on what you do, you may also look into "ignoring application responses".

However, a script for quitting another application that depends on the target application to respond to messages while it's already hanging can't work as the application in question is already unresponsive when the scripts tries to send it a message.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

16.04.2013 09:56:51
Re: Remote buddy doesn't work when application freezes
View

Thanks for the response Felix. 
I understand what you are saying. So I want to clarify things a bit. The reason I first wrote this application was because Plex was freezing, and during this time I could pull up the remote buddy window, but when I tried to force quit the application, it wouldn't work. Actually no matter what I try to do in the menu once the application is frozen, doesn't work. So I thought to myself, I'll write an applescript to kill the actual process of the app that is stuck.

Can you clarify or verify that this is normal behavior? Or do you have another workaround you can suggest? 
-Dan