Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

14.11.2013 00:42:03
Cannot wake my screen - Mac does not sleep
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi!

I am using remote buddy with a 2012 Mac mini running 10.9. 
The system runs plex media server and the plex client. TV is connected to Mac via HDMI,

I have set plex to sleep the screen after some time. 
The problem is, that it seems that I cannot wake the screen no matter what, - my Mac never sleeps, only the screen, 
I can wake the screen by pressing MENU + RIGHT, I.e. I actually initiate a pairing process. This will wake the screen.

Any clues.?

From what I have read int he forums, is that there was a feature change since 10.7 which requires a real hardware keyboard input to wake a screen, but I also read that remote buddy would be able to wake a screen normally by remote. But it doesn't seem to work on my setup. 
The sc

This is an ongoing problem, I had it on 10.8 as well, so this is not Mavericks-only.

Thanks! 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

18.11.2013 10:24:31
Re: Cannot wake my screen - Mac does not sleep
View

UPDATE:

it turns out, that screen sleep/wake doesn't matter at all.

Whenever I leave the Mac Mini untouched for a while (even without screen sleep), my Apple remote is not able to connect to the Mac anymore. 
My solution/workaround is to hit the MENU/RIGHT keys and perform a pair process. After that, the remote works again.

I have to do this EVERY TIME after idling for a while. This is quite annoying.

Any suggestions on how to solve this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

User

18.11.2013 23:03:01
View

Thanks for asking.

I have a few questions myself, too, though ;-)

1) Any reason why you’d use a Plex setting to sleep your screen (for which there is no public API) when this is also available via System Preferences?

2) Do you use the actions in Remote Buddy’s Plex Behaviour - or do you forward button events from Remote Buddy to Plex using Remote Buddy's Virtual Remote? Or, in other words, what does your mapping table at Prefs > Mapping > Plex look like?

3) Have you installed and do you use the Apple Remote driver supplied by Remote Buddy (Candelair)?

4) Please run Remote Control Diagnostics (free download from the Labs section of this website) when the problem occurs and copy and paste the full version of the output here.

This information should help a great deal to get a better idea on what is going wrong on your system - and hopefully provide a solution.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

19.11.2013 00:07:07
View

Thanks for getting back to me.

1. I used the plex screen saver out of commodity, as it was simpler to set up than system prefs (with never any mouse or keyboard attached to my mac, that is). Plus, I was unaware of the un-public API they use :-) 
Turns out, however, that the screen setting on or off doesn't change anything regarding my problem mentioned above.

2. Yes, I pretty much use defaults everywhere, ans and I use the default behavior of PHT. I know that this is still beta software, but I have the same issues with the latest release version. So: all mappings are default.

3. Candleair is installed.

4. this is what the Candleair diagnostic check brings up. I assume it's the same as the one you mentioned. If not I am happy to download and run the other one as well.

PlexHTHelper (PID 1221) is using the Apple® Remote in exclusive mode 
While PlexHTHelper accesses your Apple® IR Receiver exclusively, no other application or OS X will receive Apple® Remote button press events. This can give you the impression that your Apple® Remote doesn't work. In that case, quit PlexHTHelper (located at /Users/macmini/Library/Application Support/Plex Home Theater/PlexHTHelper). 
Testing exclusive access 
Can't get exclusive access 
RCD's attempt to get temporary, exclusive access failed (error: The operation couldn’t be completed. (Mach error -536870203 - (iokit/common) exclusive access and device already open) (3)). This usually means that another application is already having exclusive access to the Apple® Remote. Neither OS X nor other applications will be able to respond to your Apple® Remote at the same time. This can give you the impression that your Apple® Remote doesn't work. Quit the application that exclusively accesses the Apple® Remote to make it available to OS X and other applications again.

Thanks, Oliver.

Last edited: 19.11.2013 00:08:00 

User

20.11.2013 11:08:01
View

Thanks for your answers!

This looks ok so far, but please select „All“ in Remote Control Diagnostics and copy and paste the full output so I get a complete picture.

Regarding Plex itself, there is a possibility that it is put to sleep by App Nap. Since another user reported similar issues with XBMC, from which Plex was forked, this is well possible.

Please see my remarks on how to use Activity Monitor in my reply there and do essentially the same, just with Plex instead of XBMC ;-)

http://www.iospirit.com/support/forums/remotebuddy/singlethread/16565/

Thanks in advance.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

22.11.2013 21:53:57
View

Thanks for trying to narrow this down!

Regarding App Nap: the activity monitor shows NO all the time, so I am not sure, that App Nap is the problem.

Now here goes the ALL-log: 
–––––––––

AllIssues & Potential Issues (4)Issues (2)Potential Issues (2)Informal (7) 
Information 
Diagnostics are performed by Remote Control Diagnostics V1.3 on a Macmini6,2 running OS X 1090. 
Searching for Hardware 
Apple® IR Receiver found on USB bus. 
Checking Drivers 
Known ISAIRDriver driver is loaded 
The IR Receiver USB device is used by Plex (PID 476) 
An application is accessing the IR Receiver USB device via an IOUSBDeviceUserClient. Depending on what it is doing, this may keep OS X and applications from receiving Apple® Remote button presses. The application is located at /Applications/Plex Home Theater.app/Contents/MacOS/Plex Home Theater. 
Candelair/Remote Buddy driver version 1.24 found 
Driver supports exclusive access 
Checking Preferences 
IR Receiver is paired to Apple® Remote ID 233 
Your Mac® will ignore button presses from all Apple® Remotes that don't have this ID. Please note that the ID of an Apple® Remote can be changed accidentally by pressing a certain button combination for a few seconds. If your Mac® doesn't react to the button presses of your remote, please unpair your remote at System Preferences > Security to exclude this as a possible error source. 
IR Receiver is enabled 
Checking running applications 
PlexHTHelper (PID 483) is using the Apple® Remote in exclusive mode 
While PlexHTHelper accesses your Apple® IR Receiver exclusively, no other application or OS X will receive Apple® Remote button press events. This can give you the impression that your Apple® Remote doesn't work. In that case, quit PlexHTHelper (located at /Users/macmini/Library/Application Support/Plex Home Theater/PlexHTHelper). 
OS X Apple® Remote support process found 
Testing exclusive access 
Can't get exclusive access 
RCD's attempt to get temporary, exclusive access failed (error: The operation couldn’t be completed. (Mach error -536870203 - (iokit/common) exclusive access and device already open) (3)). This usually means that another application is already having exclusive access to the Apple® Remote. Neither OS X nor other applications will be able to respond to your Apple® Remote at the same time. This can give you the impression that your Apple® Remote doesn't work. Quit the application that exclusively accesses the Apple® Remote to make it available to OS X and other applications again. 

User

30.11.2013 16:45:51
View

*bump* 
User

02.12.2013 11:48:01
View

Thanks for the full log.

An application is accessing the IR Receiver USB device via an IOUSBDeviceUserClient. Depending on what it is doing, this may keep OS X and applications from receiving Apple® Remote button presses. The application is located at /Applications/Plex Home Theater.app/Contents/MacOS/Plex Home Theater.

This is very odd since user space applications like Plex usually don’t have any way (or need) of accessing the Apple IR Receiver via the USB stack directly. If an application wanted to do this, it’d do this through a kernel extension (like Remote Buddy), but not through user space APIs like that.

On a quick search in Plex’ public code repository, I also can’t seem to find any code in Plex that would do this.

I also couldn’t reproduce this in my own testing.

Are you using any special/beta build of Plex - or any settings for/from a previous Intel Apple TV installation?

IR Receiver is paired to Apple® Remote ID 233 
Your Mac® will ignore button presses from all Apple® Remotes that don't have this ID. Please note that the ID of an Apple® Remote can be changed accidentally by pressing a certain button combination for a few seconds. If your Mac® doesn't react to the button presses of your remote, please unpair your remote at System Preferences > Security to exclude this as a possible error source. 
IR Receiver is enabled

Please unpair the remote as suggested by RCD.

If this doesn’t help, please go through all of the steps in the post linked below and see if it has an effect.

http://www.iospirit.com/support/forums/remotebuddy/singlethread/16572/

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

02.12.2013 12:19:02
View

Thanks for getting back to me.

Thanks for the full log.

This is very odd since user space applications like Plex usually don’t have any way (or need) of accessing the Apple IR Receiver via the USB stack directly. If an application wanted to do this, it’d do this through a kernel extension (like Remote Buddy), but not through user space APIs like that.

On a quick search in Plex’ public code repository, I also can’t seem to find any code in Plex that would do this.

I also couldn’t reproduce this in my own testing.

Are you using any special/beta build of Plex - or any settings for/from a previous Intel Apple TV installation?

I have a clean install of the final Plex Home Theater - I did use some beta builds before though, but i always download the app and overwrite the old one.

I don't know, if this helps at all, but I checked my Launch Agents, where I found this entry:;

com.plexapp.ht.helper

with these parameters: "/Users/username/Library/Application Support/Plex Home Theater/PlexHTHelper" -x

The deamon is running on my system. Could this daemon possibly interfere with Remote Buddy?

I found out, that there is a setting in PHT to "Allow start of PHT using remote". As soon as this is enabled, the Launch daemon is activated. Disabling it, removes the daemon entry again. I am not able to test this right now, but I will get back to you.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 
User

02.12.2013 13:41:42
View

UPDATE: Neither of my above mentioned methods solves the problem.

When I have Apple Remote support enabled in PHT settings, PHTHelper is running, taking exklusive ownership of the remote.

As soon as I set the remote setting in PHT to DISABLED, PHTHelper is gone and Remote Buddy diagnostics are no longer showing red alerts.

Just FYI.

Last edited: 02.12.2013 16:24:11