Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

27.12.2013 03:57:56
Remote Buddy not working unless Plex is running
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi all, 
for some reason RB does not respond to any remote input when just on the desktop. Once I run Plex everything works fine and the global mappings that I assign also work. Any help appreciated.

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware
Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

27.12.2013 09:20:02
Re: Remote Buddy not working unless Plex is running
View

Thanks for asking.

If you assign actions to the "Global Mapping“ table, these actions are executed for *every* press of the buttons you assigned them to.

If you assigned Plex-specific actions to the buttons of your remote in the "Global Mapping“ table and Plex is not running, Remote Buddy will execute these actions regardless of what application you run or don’t run. If you only assigned Plex-specific actions and Plex is not running, Remote Buddy will still send UDP packages containing the commands on every button press. However, if Plex is not running at the time, it can't receive or react to them and you won’t see any reaction.

If you want to use more than one application (which I assume you want), you shouldn’t use the Global Mapping table at all, but leave it at its default settings. The correct place to change the actions associated to a button on a per-application basis are the application-specific mapping tables (for Plex that’s Remote Buddy Preferences > Mapping > Plex).

For more information please see the included help - or the online copy of the included help at 
http://helpbooks.iospirit.net/remotebuddy/english/ref_prefs_mapping.html

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

27.12.2013 19:17:11
Re: Remote Buddy not working unless Plex is running
View

Thanks for getting back to me. I understand the concept of the mappings - unfortunately that is not the problem I am experiencing. 
It looks like RB does not see any remote input unless Plex is running. For example: to be able to auto pair the remotes with RB, I needed to start Plex and put it in the background. While Plex was in the background RB saw the remote show up and added it to the multi remote list. 
I also tried to add a command to the default mapping and it didn't work unless Plex was running in the background. 
It was almost as if starting Plex 'turned on' the IR receiver and then RB would see the input.