Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

16.07.2014 01:43:03
Mapping Universal Remote w/ More Functions
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi Felix, hi guys,

I'm trying to get my universal remote (One For All URC 7960, infrared) to play nicely with my Mac mini. So far I have successfully "copied" all buttons and functions from my actual Apple remote via the URs "learning" function. But it looks like that's all I can do, is that right? There seems to be no other compatible IR-remote with more buttons I could pair, map them to my liking in RB and then have my UR learn the commands.

Is there maybe some sort of workaround?

I'm specifically trying to add a few universal commands to control iTunes via the spare play/pause/skip buttons on my UR.

Maybe you could shed some light on this.

Thanks a lot, 
Vince

Last edited: 16.07.2014 01:49:10 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

16.07.2014 12:50:03
Found Workaround! Mapping Universal Remote w/ More Functions
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Replying to my own issue here, found a workaround:

I enabled multiple remotes in RBs hardware settings and paired a second Apple remote (spare white one I had lying around) with my Mac mini and mapped it to the corresponding ID. From there I could map the second remote with the global actions I needed and have my universal remote learn those commands.

It's a bit tricky because the Apple remotes only give the UR 6 resp. 7 different buttons to copy. Of course one could extend this by adding more compatible IR remotes and paring these as well. As long as they have different IDs you should be able to add different actions for each one. Good thing is, you only need them once to map/copy the commands, so you can borrow your buddy's remote etc..

That being said, if there is an easier way to do this, please let me know…

Last edited: 16.07.2014 12:50:44