Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

09.08.2014 11:20:28
Problem with the Apple Remote.
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hello, 
I'm running under Mac OS Version 10.7.5, on a Mac mini

[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1055313/Temporaire/capturesecran/image%202014-08-09%20%C3%A0%2011.10.11.png[/img]

I bought a license for Remote Buddy, wich is a great software. I paired two Apple remotes with my computer, wich both have the same ID, so I can use the both on the same computer. 
For two years, there was no problem. Everything works fine. 
But last monthe, the motherboard of my mac mini crashed, and I give my mac to the Appstore for a replacement. 
When I restarted my mac, Remote buddy says the licence expired, so I reentered my licence key, and remote buddy restarted correctly. 
But when I tried to use my apple remotes, the both are not working anymore. I tried the "security panel", in the preference system, try to unpair them, pair them again, nothing works. I was thinking the apple staff forgot to plug the IR receiver, so I did a check with the Remote Control Diagnostic of IOSpirit.

Here is the result : 
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1055313/Temporaire/capturesecran/image%202014-08-09%20%C3%A0%2011.17.02.png[/img]

All green, everything seems fine.

I was thinking the battery were empty, so I change them with new batteries, but they don't work neither.

My version of Remote Buddy is 1.25.2 
Last version of Candelair

Have you got an idea from were the problem could come ?

Sorry for my poor english.

Thank you by advance.

EDIT : Just checked the batteries of the two remotes with my webcam, and the two batteries are working. I can see the white dot emited by the two remotes.

Still searching for the problem.

Last edited: 09.08.2014 11:52:39

Last edited: 09.08.2014 11:52:57 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware
Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

09.08.2014 11:59:01
Re: Problem with the Apple Remote.
View

Your second screenshot shows that you're using the most recent version of Remote Control Diagnostics, but an outdated version of Candelair.

If you've updated Remote Buddy to the latest version, but didn't install the updated driver version it brings along, Remote Buddy will ignore the driver.

Please make sure that you have installed the latest version of Remote Buddy and its driver. You can use Remote Buddy's Setup Wizard to see which version of the driver is loaded (= active), installed (= what's used at next boot) and shipping with Remote Buddy (= the version this particular version of Remote Buddy needs). The Setup Wizard can also install, update and remove the driver for you.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

09.08.2014 12:07:11
View

Thanks for your prompt answer. The diagnostics says my Remote Buddy use the Candelair 1.24, and when I go to the Wizard Setup, it tells me there is no new version. It can just install the same version.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1055313/Temporaire/capturesecran/image%202014-08-09%20%C3%A0%2012.01.36.png

But before, my remotes was always working with that version. Adding to that, I can't pair on unpair them anymore. Nothing works. They are no more recognize by the mac. 

User

09.08.2014 14:40:01
View

Sorry, my mistake! Version 1.24 is the correct version from Snow Leopard to Moutain Lion, while version 1.25 of the driver is only offered on Mavericks and later (where a different code signature is required).

From the software side of things, everything looks ok then and your Apple Remote should work correctly. Since you already exchanged the remote's battery, that shouldn't be the issue either.

On the hardware side, these could be possible causes:

1) the remote itself might be broken 
In that case, even exchanging the battery wouldn't help. If you have a webcam attached to your Mac, you can check whether your Apple Remote sends anything using Remote Control Diagnostics' Battery Check.

2) the receiver itself could be broken - or might not have been seated correctly when the Mac mini was reassembled after repair 
I can only guess here, of course, but if I understood you correctly, the Apple Remote has not worked once since the repair, so this is something to consider.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

09.08.2014 14:46:55
View

I checked with the webcam, the two remotes are emitting. I don't think the both remote could have been broke during I was away from home.

It's most likely it is the Receiver of the mac. But what I don't understand is : If the receiver hasn't been well done reconnected during the re-assembled of the mac, why the diagnostic says it's detected ?

Is it possible the diagnostic detect it despite it isn't connected ? 

User

11.08.2014 21:58:01
View

Thanks for the info. I agree it's unlikely that this is an issue of the Apple Remote control.

Regarding hardware health:

The mere existence of a connection unfortunately doesn't mean anything beyond that there's a USB connection between the IR receiver and the logic board. Since it turns up in the diagnostics, I think it's safe to say that the cable from the receiver to the logic board is connected correctly.

It, however, says nothing about whether all components on the IR receiver are intact and that the IR receiver is positioned correctly (so that its IR sensor receives signals coming in through the small hole on the front of the Mac mini).

You can take a look at how fragile the IR sensor board is, here: 
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac+Mini+Mid+2011+IR+Sensor+Replacement/6412

The analogy isn't perfect, but it may illustrate this well enough: think of an external hard drive. Even if the hard drive itself is broken, it can still show up as a USB device to your Mac. And in fact, the USB connection might work perfectly. The hard drive, of course, will still not work.

That said, another thing you could try is resetting the SMC (which stores USB info IIRC) and NVRAM (which stores settings like volume settings, preferred boot drive, ..):

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964 
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz