Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

19.10.2014 06:47:11
Key mappings not functioning after installing Yosemite - Remote Buddy Express
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I installed OS X 10.10 Yosemite yesterday. Since then, my remote control key mappings have not been functioning. Some things I've noticed:

– The Mappings pane in Preferences does not show any of my own mappings, only the default set. 
– My custom behaviours and actions are still visible in the Behaviour Construction Kit. 
– I have set up 12 logical remotes. All are still visible in the Hardware pane of Preferences. 
• They were not visible in the RBE menu or in the Hardware sidebar. 
• But, if I click on one of the mapped logical remotes in the right-hand box of the Hardware pane, all the logical remote magically appear in the sidebar and the RBE menu. Further, all my mappings then appear in the Mappings pane of Preferences. 
• However, the remote still does not work. 
• If I quit RBE and restart it, all the mappings are gone. If I again click on a logical remote mapping in the Hardware pane of Preferences, the key mappings come back. 
– Yesterday, after some time, fiddling in Preferences, the mappings started working again. 
• While they were working, RBE was very sluggish. 
– I have quite and restarted Remote Buddy - no change. 
– I have restarted the Mac - no change. 
– All the preference files seem to be in place. 
– I have changed a few basic settings (e.g. show in Dock or Menu) - no change. 
– There is no option in System Preferences to turn on/off the IR receiver - it should be in the Advanced dialog.

This could be a Yosemite bug. However, it was very odd that RBE did work for a while yesterday.

Has anyone had a similar experience ?

System: Mac Mini (mid-2011), BTO, Core i7, OS X 10.10 
RBE: v1.25.2 
Remote: Harmony 300 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Behaviours
Configuration
Hardware
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - Harmony® Smart Control
User

23.10.2014 16:47:01
Re: Key mappings not functioning after installing Yosemite - Remote Buddy Express
View

Please download Remote Control Diagnostics from

https://www.iospirit.com/labs/remotecontroldiagnostics/

and copy and post the complete output of the diagnostics in reply.

Thanks in advance! 

User

24.10.2014 04:53:25
Re: Key mappings not functioning after installing Yosemite - Remote Buddy Express
View

The problem seems to be a bug in Yosemite. A number of people have reported this on the Apple Communities.

For now, I fixed the problem by installing Candelair. It worked immediately and is probably better than the OS X IR driver anyway.

Cheers.

GB 

User

25.10.2014 06:45:46
Re: Key mappings not functioning after installing Yosemite - Remote Buddy Express - FIXED
View

The problem was that I had an old copy of RBIOKitHelper.kext stored in system/library/extensions. I believe that OS X Yosemite recognises that as a replacement for the Apple IR driver and then disables it's own IR functions such as the pairing and disable receiver functions.

So, the fix for me was to delete RBIOKitHelper.kext and reboot. RBE still works well.

Cheers.

Garry 

User

25.10.2014 12:32:02
Re: Key mappings not functioning after installing Yosemite - Remote Buddy Express - FIXED
View

Anything but the latest version of Candelair will be ignored by OS X Yosemite as these versions don't have the (now) required, extended code signature.

Candelair's RBIOKitHelper.kext will only be preferred by OS X over Apple's own AppleIRController.kext if OS X also loads it.

I'm happy Apple IR support works for you in OS X Yosemite, but an old version should not have had any effect on that (neither positive nor negative), since old versions won't be used by OS X Yosemite at all.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

26.10.2014 06:31:53
View

Felix, many thanks.

The file that I deleted was version 1.24 dated 26 November 2013.

I assumed that OS X had found that file and turned off IR. Perhaps there is still a bug in OS X. Anyway, the problem was fully resolved by deleting that file from the extensions folder, deleting all the preferences and behaviours files from my Library and rebooting.

Cheers.

Garry 

User

09.06.2015 22:41:11
View

It says outdated information for being an old post, but I too am having Remote Buddy action troubles in Yosemite.

10.10.3 here...

I create actions one by one and make the key stroke for one key press. I make the action available globally. I go to Mapping Preferences. Only half of my actions are available in Miscellaneous.

The problem is more prevalent when I use duplicate, but now even when I manually set each one there are actions missing and I can't use them. I try to work with the bug, set Not Global then Global again, and that only makes other actions disappear.

I can only double check twice till it's technically multiple levels above double checking. Still no good :(

The FAQ does not cover this level of oversight.

Last edited: 09.06.2015 22:41:33