Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

04.11.2014 05:21:02
Mac mini plus harmony smart keyboard
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi all,

Just wondering if there is a workaround for this issue:

When I connect my harmony Smart keyboard to my Mac (running Yosemite) via Bluetooth, remote buddy no longer works. When it is not connected though, everything is fine and all the functions I have mapped out work great. 
I read after doing some research that it seems the two have some problems meshing together.

Any possible way of being able to use everything consecutively?

If there's anyone here who has the answer to this, I would really appreciate it! Thanks :) 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - Harmony® Smart Control
Hardware - Wii™ Remote
User

06.11.2014 16:42:01
Re: Mac mini plus harmony smart keyboard
View

The Harmony Hub can simulate a number of different Bluetooth devices, but always uses the same, unique Bluetooth Device Address when doing so.

In order to achieve faster connects, OS X caches device information, including the device name and HID descriptor (which describes it as f.ex. a keyboard, joystick or media remote respectively) for every device using the device's Bluetooth Device Address.

Caching this information is critical to support many input devices, especially keyboards, to enable disconnects and fast reconnects to conserve battery life.

If the same device, however, connects in multiple different roles, the cached information often won't match what the device currently want to represent.

So if for example, the Hub connects to the Mac as a keyboard, OS X will cache that information. If the Hub then wants to pose as a PS3 remote, it'll disconnect and connect again. OS X, however, may still be using the cached information, interpreting the information coming over Bluetooth as keyboard, not remote control input.

That's why you currently can't use a Harmony Hub in different roles with the same OS X system.

This is not really a limitation of Remote Buddy, though, but rather a consequence of how Bluetooth works in OS X. 

User

06.11.2014 20:13:44
Re: Mac mini plus harmony smart keyboard
View

Hi Felix,

Thanks for the information! I kind of figured I was out of luck but I just wanted to see if anyone has figured out some sort of workaround. The funny thing is that I'm not even connected via Bluetooth - I connected my harmony remote through IR to simulate an apple remote because I already own a PS3 and didn't know how simulating the PS3 remote would affect that activity. My harmony keyboard is connected through one of the usb receivers, and is not even a device that shows its connected through Bluetooth.

Yet, sadly it still does not work so I guess it still has something to with the caching and clashing of devices? I was really hoping it would work because remote buddy is a great piece of software! I guess I'll have to try and figure out a different sort of set up if theres no workaround.

Thanks again for the reply!