Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

12.11.2014 02:21:45
Remote Buddy + MacMini + PS3 Bluetooth remote
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi

I'm trying to pair my PS3 remote with RemoteBuddy so I can use it to control Plex. 
I'm using a 2011 Mac Mini on OS 10.9. 
When I open up RemoteBuddy (after the driver installation step), I select the new wizard option and it asks me to press the 2 keys on my remote. 
I've tried pressing 1 & 2 on my remote (older model with no LED) and Enter & Select but the remote does not get detected and I'm stuck on the screen where it is trying to find the device.

I've put new batteries into the remote which has made no difference.

Would be grateful for any assistance.

Thanks 
Dejan 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Driver
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - Sony® BD Remote Control
Hardware - Wii™ Remote
User

12.11.2014 10:14:01
Re: Remote Buddy + MacMini + PS3 Bluetooth remote
View

Hi Dejan,

buttons 1+2 only refer to the Wii Remote.

For the Sony PS3 BD Remote you'll need to press and hold Enter+Select together for about 1-2 seconds. If you press them too shortly, the remote may not enter pairing mode.

If the remote wasn't found within 10 seconds of that, repeat the procedure, as the remote may already have left pairing mode and powered off by then.

Hope that helps.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

14.11.2014 22:25:11
View

Thanks for your response but unfortunately that didn't work. The remote does not get detected at all by the setup wizard.

In the Apple bluetooth menu, TVBluetooth shows up as connected briefly then is immediately disconnected. 
I have a Mac Air again running 10.9 and the remote and remotebuddy work fine together but I need it working on my Mac Mini. 
I've tested the Mac Mini's bluetooth and it seems to work fine with other bluetooth devices. 
Any help would be appreciated! 

User

16.11.2014 13:09:01
View

Thanks for the info!

Your remote control should show up as "BD Remote Control". A remote control named "TVBluetooth" is not supported by Remote Buddy and will not be detected.

Is the remote you're using from Sony - or another company?

What's the model number printed on the label on the back of the remote?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

16.11.2014 21:22:38
View

Thanks for the reply Felix. 
The remote is the original Sony one, 98046. 
As mentioned the remote works correctly with remotebuddy on my 10.9 Mac air but won't be detected by the 10.9 Mac mini. 
I live in an apartment so the other tv remote being detected may be a neighbours remote.

Is the a diagnostic log I can look at to see what's going on?

Thanks 

User

17.11.2014 08:47:40
View

Thanks for your help Felix.

I'm happy to say that it's all working now. 
My Mac Mini didn't want to detect the remote until I put it right on top of the Mac Mini and then all bluetooth devices suddenly got detected. 
Not sure how it was able to pick up a neighbours remote before and not my remote which is only a meter away but now that it's paired it detects it from meters away so I'm a happy camper.

Hopefully after a reboot it will still detect it on startup

Last edited: 17.11.2014 08:48:15